Captain Ruby Tuesday

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

RubyTuesday

Captain Ruby Tuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Hey everybody!
This is Ruby! I adopted him last week. He's a 1 and a half year old Lutino, born in Hawaii on Valentine's day! :D
His previous owners couldn't look after him anymore, but they gave him a really good home and trained him very well. Sweetest bird... though not very cuddly. No biting either. *phew!*

Anyway, this is my first IRN. Before him, we had a senegal parrot named Tallulah. Best.Parrot.EVER! Unfortunately, she died only a month after we got her :cry: ... I never mourned a human being as much as I did her.
IRNs are very different, I soon came to realize. Very independent... which really makes me miss Tallulah, because I'm so used to playing and cuddling with her. I took her everywhere with me, even grocery shopping. She'd sit on my shoulder, and never flew off. I guess in time Ruby will warm up. I'm suprised how much he as already, I'm really lucky, I guess. I'm trying to be patient.

So far, bonding is going really well. He sits on my shoulder, nuzzles behind my ear, can say "Ruby!" and "Blow a Kiss!" Sometimes he lets me hug him and nuzzle my nose into his neck and head, but flies up onto my shoulder when he's had enough. Also giving him his favorite foods, yellow peppers, apples and raisins.

I'm thinking about giving him a new name, since his previous owners thought he was a girl when they got him... any suggestions?
:wink:

I'm so glad I found this site! You've already answered oodles of questions! Thanks :lol:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Welcome! This is a wonderful site full of warm, caring and very helpful people. Your IRN is the most brilliant I've ever seen. He must be real special because we share the same birthday! :)
You could name him Surya. It means the sun in Sanskrit. Take care, Rachael
Melika

Post by Melika »

What a beautiful hawaiian boy. ^_^ ya'll are up to a great start by the sound of it (I do so enjoy perpetuating the assumption that all Floridians walk around tanned in shorts saying "ya'll").

In addition, Surya: "In Hindu mythology, Surya represents the Sun god. Surya is depicted as a red man with three eyes and four arms, riding in a chariot drawn by seven mares. Surya holds water lilies with two of his hands. With his third hand he encourages his worshipers whom he blesses with his fourth hand. In India, Surya is believed to be a benevolent deity capable of healing sick people. Even today, people place the symbol of the Sun over shops because they think it would bring good fortune."

Though I'm a fan of Japanese names, lol, Surya is pretty.
Maui is also a sun god name. Just a hawaiian thought. :wink:

And I just found out where the writer of Helliconia Spring found the name for a large sun, Freyr, in his book. It's a Norse god-myth connected with the sun. The things you learn when researching for birds.... ^_~
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

hey you have a beautiful bird there. love the colour. First mature lutino iv ever seen. I gota say almost didn’t notice what a beautiful right eye you have :wink:
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Hey everybody!
Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes :wink:
I think I'm gonna stick with his original name, Ruby since that's all he's been saying, along with "Blow a kiss!" "Good Ruby!" and multiple kissing sounds. hehe

~ kk

:D
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

hey the warm welcomes are our pleasure. well mine if not anybody elses. how old is your bird? and how big is it? because it looks huge.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I had to do the same as my baby calls herself "Peek-a-Boo". Not a name I would have chosen but she sure loves it!

Man, thats a pretty boy.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

He does look huge in these photos! lol :lol: But he's actually normal size. I guess it was from the angle I took it at. He's only 1 and a half years old.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

I can see he’s very vain did you take that picture before he was ready to be photographed?. And he is a beauty Just like his owner. :wink:

you need to be careful when he lunges and try not to pull away when hem does lunge it does hurt more than if he just grabs you 8 times out of 10 they wont even bite hard just warn you but if you pull away when he does it will hurt.