new member with questions :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

x_zipped_x

new member with questions :)

Post by x_zipped_x »

hello there everyone!
my name is Tara im 17 and from Malta!
i'm a proud owner of 1 ringneck, 3 cockatiels and 8 budgies!
life is pretty hectic with all of them but its all very worth it.

i have a few questions about my ringneck :)
my ringneck is roughly around 6 months and hes training to talk at the moment he mumbles hours on end and sometimes you can make out "hello" "good boy" etc :roll: i was going to put a mirror on his stand, will that help him out??

he also has a bit of feather plucking problems, he has a nasty swollen wound near his rear, which i took him to the vet for and he gave us antibiotics and other treatments, we also had to buy him a collar but that didnt really work out.
i would really like to know why he's plucking? can anyone help me out please?! he definetely isnt bored, the stand is 100x bigger than he is :shock: and its full of toys! i mean you can barely see him on it :lol:
and right under the stand he has a playgym which isnt finished yet but he still plays on it (when i let him)
any help would be grately appreciated thanks x x
nil

Post by nil »

hi tara, and welcome here
there are many reasons for a bird to feather picking.
in this article you may see more for this http://www.birdcareco.com/English/Arts/Health%20arts/Feather/Vet/Vet.html
but your bird is very young for feather picking, it is not usual at that age.
And he is not only feather picking but also a self mutilation and this is more serious.
You must check for all, but first check environment and nutrition.
does he stays all day in his stand?, he hasnt a cage? does he fly?how many hours does he sleep?is he calm? and many other questions that you must reply.
Post few pics if you have and more details about his life

good luck
x_zipped_x

Post by x_zipped_x »

hi there thank you very much for your reply.
yes the vet said something about self mutilation but he did not go into detail about it.
what should i check about the environment and nutrition?
yes he stays most of the time on his stand, i think he may be going through bluffing? he doesnt like it when we try to get him off or touch him etc he attacks us alot, but once hes off the stand hes very lovable and calm and just a happy little thing.
no he doesnt have a cage just bought him a stand a month ago and removed his old cage.
as for the flying we bought him with clipped wings and his tail is missing i dont know why it is missing the breeder said he removed it because he didnt have space to keep all the babies :cry:
i dont know exactly how much hours he sleeps but i do know that he likes to nap for some time in the afternoon and usually we turn the lights off around 9-10pm turn it back on for him around 8am.
and for the calm part, not always, he panics when we try to touch him.
does he need more entertaining?? is he bored?

if you would like me to post a pic of the wound he has please let me know.

ImageImage

ImageImage
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Tara

Your ringie is a beautiful colour.

Would love to see pics of your other birds as well :)
nil

Post by nil »

tara i think you must try to learm more about irns and feather picking, internet is a easy way to do this

First of all i think that a cage is necessary, not smaller than 40*60*60 cm
with enough toys and treats. The cage is better to put near a wall in a place of your house with no much noise
Irn must feels safety there and if you can leave him to fly into rooms sometimes. He needs at least 10-12 hours sleep per day in dark and try dont scare him.
he panics when we try to touch him

if he panics dont try to touch him, you must before this gain his trust and may need many time