Confusion over sex of my ringneck

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Shezas ringneck

Confusion over sex of my ringneck

Post by Shezas ringneck »

I am a new ringneck mum.
But I am a little confused, as her old owner has told my that she has been tested as a violet female ringneck.
But now I have got her she looks like a blue male ringneck.
How do I know for sure ( she has a tag on her leg but I can't read it)
sanjays mummi

Re: Confusion over sex of my ringneck

Post by sanjays mummi »

How old is your bird?, my birds breeder told me I had a DNA sexed male, by the age of three she was clucking and crouching, and obviously female. Males usually have their collar by two years of age. You could send off for a DNA sexing kit,, or wait and see. There's quite a difference between blue and violet, the hen you see on here is blue (she is also clucking and crouching). Although annoyed by the dishonesty of my birds breeder, I wouldn't part with my little Sweetie for all the tea in China! :-bd
UnkTob

Post by UnkTob »

I've read that DNA testing can be inaccurate, not due to the testing per se, but that it is easy to contaminate the samples. Usual mistake is for a female to be diagnosed as a male. I'll probably get mine tested once he or she arrives, but I'll probably pick a name that works for either. LOL
Shezas ringneck

Post by Shezas ringneck »

I have been told my bird is 4-5 years old and it has the dark ring that males get. She was already named Gem
Can't send a pic as it says it us to large and I don't know how to change it