New IRN Owner in Idaho (What's the deal with the SPAM?)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

UnkTob

New IRN Owner in Idaho (What's the deal with the SPAM?)

Post by UnkTob »

Hello!

I've had a few other birds over my many years on this earth, but I'm making the jump to an Indian RingNeck! I'm very excited! I was referred to this site by somebody over at Finch Farms in Washington. I've already started combing through the threads to further expand my knowledge and understanding of these amazing creatures!
However...what the heck is the deal with all these stupid spam posts? I have never seen any forum as inundated with posts as bad as this site. Hopefully the Admin's can get things under control soon! From what I have seen from the interactions on the forums, you have a good community here!

All the best!
Rob (UnkTob)
sanjays mummi

Re: New IRN Owner in Idaho (What's the deal with the SPAM?)

Post by sanjays mummi »

Hi Rob, and welcome. I have been reporting this spam for Ages, and Nothing is being done about it, I'm sure it's the reason so many have left.
My bird, aged 7 yrs has started chewing flexes, electrical ones!, so I thought I had better warn you, she never used to do this, but it is common in parrots according to some sources.
I live in the UK, we are a diverse bunch of owners on here, :-bd
UnkTob

Post by UnkTob »

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for the reply.

That's too bad that nothing has been done about it and it has been happening for awhile. :(

Oh man... one of my concerns are electrical cables, since I have a pretty big audio & television system and lots of electronics everywhere. My last budgie pretty much caught on to what was okay to play with and which were not, but I'm worried that maybe with my new birdo, simple "No!"'s and not rewarding might not be enough. Fingers crossed!

Hoping my new little companion will arrive and I can go pick him or her up in a week or so! Can't wait!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I know how that anticipation feels! :-!
UnkTob

Post by UnkTob »

I'm posting this question here, since it doesn't look like there's any activity on the other forums. I bought a colorful ladder with chew stuff on it, and when I washed it, all the colors ran. I take it that isn't good. How do you know if this will happen before you buy? Thanks!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Vegetable dye is used, as anything else would be toxic, parrots chew!, I am very careful where I source toys etc from, but, yes, vegetable dye runs I'm afraid.
UnkTob

Post by UnkTob »

Thanks again for the reply!
Ok, that's good to hear! I usually do most of my pet supply shopping at a big chain pet store, but now I'm leery. Looking at the tags on their toys, most are made in China, and others don't say. Just ordered more toys for mt IRN off Amazon after reading reviews for over an hour.
Just found out my new little buddy might arrive a day before his or her (hopefully "his") cage arrives! Yikes! Might temporarily house it in the cage of my budgie who passed away a few months ago.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

It depends if budgie cage is big enough!, at 8 weeks my bird was much bigger than a budgie.
Northern Parrots, Scarletts parrot supplies are great to deal with, hopefully they send to your part of the world, their birds "test" all their toys, so they know they are safe.
My bird will play with just about anything, the little cage type cat balls with bells inside, the plastic dosage caps from liquid detergent (unused ones), they Love stainless steel tubular bells, and "Babble Ball", but my little Sweetie didn't play with toys until she was much older.