I need help!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

lucyjc

I need help!

Post by lucyjc »

:roll: Hi, my name is Lucy, I live just outside of Melbourne in Australia and I have an Indian Ringneck. I dont know if it is a boy or a girl but I will call him a boy for now, his name is Frankie and he is green. He is a beautiful boy and I do love him but we are having problems. My household also consists of 3 jack russell terriers who bark and jump at his cage at times.
When I got him (about 8 months ago)- he was supposed to be a hand raised baby- because of the dogs I put his cage outside on the front porch where the dogs couldnt get near him. I now realize this was probably not the right thing to do, but I left him there over the summer without spending much time with him. As it got colder I brought him inside and his cage has remained in the living room. The dogs have settled a fair bit but they still get very jealous of him and bark and jump at the cage when I go near his cage to talk to him. Consequently he is very scared when I put my hands in his cage, runs away to the back of his cage and wont come near me. I try to put the dogs outside and spend time talking to him every day. I also open his cage doors and leave treats outside to try to entice him out of his own accord but so far it hasnt happened. :cry: How can I get him to trust me after such a rocky start? I have taken him outside of his cage a few times with a towel into another room, he has sat on my shoulder but is not happy about it, he beats his wings in protest and if I ignore him he bites my ear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Lucy
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I'd say just keep spending time with him, away from the dogs. Are there other rooms in the house his cage can go? Rooms the dogs don't/wont have access to? It's better than keeping him in a livingroom with dogs in it. Just because he goes to a calmer, more secure back room doesn't mean he'll be forgotten. My Sky is in a back room. I still spend time with him every day. If/When you move him, spend as much time with him as you can. He'll trust you. It'll just take time. When i first got Sky, he was hand-fed just not hand-raised. There's a big difference! :D I had to teach him to trust us. Step up, teach him my hand is good and is not scary. That's been my experience anyways. If i'm wrong, someone else will let you and me know. :D
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

When you got your hand tamed baby didn't your breeder tell you that is important for at least the first 6 months or so that you have to spend some time with your bird everyday so it doesn't go wild. Ringnecks are fairly easily tame with a little time and patiants he should be back to being a happy loving bird in no time.take him out of his cage and away from it so he cannot see it I tend to use the bathroom for taming birds because it is the smallest room in the house so the can't get away from you just make sure you close the toilet and the shower. Then practice step up over and over until it become ingrained but not to long at one time or the bird will get bored don't forget to take some sunflower seeds with you so when he does something right you can reward him and lots of praise I find 10 minutes 2or 3 times a day is about good andthey will usually tame right down within a couple days I rescue birds and have tamed quite a few this way it works great just make sure they can;t see their cage when your doing the training sessions.