Introducing myself

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Luís Pardal

Introducing myself

Post by Luís Pardal »

Hi everyone,

My name is Luís I am from Portugal so my english will not be very good.

I recently purchase 5 indian RingNecks and they are supposed to be 3 green and 2 blue but, keep in mind that I'm new at this, they don't look like the normal green and blue that we can find in all the pictures online.
I don't know if it is because they are still young (born in the beggining of March) or because they aren't the normal green and blue.

I will post some pictures.
Luís Pardal

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Luís Pardal »

Hi again,

Here are the photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158711898@N08/?

Are they "normal" green and blue?

Thanks
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Hello and welcome. They are beautiful. IRN's come in a variety of colours when aviary bred, yours are not what I'd call "wild" green, and your blues are not the blue as seen on here, but you will find out the Exact colours if you search this site. I'm not a breeder or expert, It is possible, that their colours may become deeper with maturity, I have a green bird, but she has a lot of yellow (lutino), tourqoise, and blue feathers, I don't think any IRN is just one solid colour all over. If yours breed, you may get different mutations, and possibly "wild" green amongst the chicks. I think that's the attraction of breeding them.
Luís Pardal

Post by Luís Pardal »

Hi, thanks for your comment.

I have been looking in the site and found one topic with one bird that looks very similar to my green ones and they say that it might be a green pallid or a green cinnamon but its like you said when they grown older the new feathers might come darker. But the parents are a supposed to be green/blue male and a ino/blue female. And using the calculator, even if the father had cinnamon or pallid genes its very unlikely that all 3 were equals in terms of visual genes.
The blue ones have that greenish color in the wings ans for what i've found they seem to be turquoise.
If anyone else have an opinion about this please share.
Riobird

Post by Riobird »

What gorgeous birds! Wow, 5 is a lot! I don't think I could have done that...Good luck with them! I'm new on the forum too. Did you have prior bird owning experience?
Luís Pardal

Post by Luís Pardal »

Thank you.

Until now they have been easy to care for. They pretty much take care of themselfs I only need to replace the water at least once a day and make sure they have food, to simplify that process I have a food dispenser, and do some cleaning in the cage. Well worth it by their beauty.
I had a few canaries but I don't have birds since my 12 years old.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Daily cleaning is imperative, even the perches, they can so easily pick up an eye infection from rubbing their beaks on dirty perches, I give the cage a really thorough clean once a week, it's surprising how much mess just one little bird can make!