New with question

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

B&B

New with question

Post by B&B »

Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm thinking about getting a Ringneck and would love some advice. I have been reading as much as I can about them, but can't find much info about how they are with children. I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. Are they generally ok with kids, or are they nervous? How loud are they? ( I'm familiar with Quakers, and was just wondering comparatively speaking.)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Carmen
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

If they are brought up with children they should be fine, they can get loud but then again its the way the IRN is brought up, if you get it while its young it should be able to bond with children, if you get one that is a bit older and never bonded with children you might have a problem but you might not. I have just recently had a baby she is 2 weeks old and my IRn who is 22mths wont go near her, he screams at her and everything but this is because my IRN hasnt been brought up with kids he sees kids every so often but will never bite them, but i still wont leave him alone with a child or my baby just in case.
Sharlene and Amazon
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Carmen,

Here's my 2 cents...

I have 3 IRN's, a moustache parakeet and a whole mess of budgies. I also have five kids, ranging in age from 2 to 16. The IRN's are all pretty gentle but, for the safety of both the birds and the kids, the birds are never loose around the kids without my supervision.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month