Hardly new, but hardly around :P

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Fah

Hardly new, but hardly around :P

Post by Fah »

Heya all,

I have been crazy busy with life... bought a home... setting up proper secure aviaries etc, setting myself up finally. Did a few odd jobs overseas and now back to study doing a post grad in teaching (IT pays well... but always can be out of a job every 6 months with what my field is... money does not make up for stress as far as im concerned).

So a few major shifts around... my flock is no longer just ringnecks :/ Its blue throated conures, sun conures, soon to be a few larger birds too I hope. Increase in birds = increase in security :/ Have put in cameras and sensors and all the other junk that goes with not wanting a dog in the yard heh.

When I get my new aviary blocks built (jan long way off) I will post some pics to show off my little bubs.

Together with re-painting a room to suit furniture etc in my new home... its all very big things to do... and I like doing nothing :/ So I am stuck there lol.

Anyway, enough of a rant, look forward to checking what i missed out on and saying hi now and then again.

Laters.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hello Fah, well you sound VERY busy lol. Where do you find the time to do all that PLUS have time for your birds?? You must be very good at time management lol :)

Good luck with your goals and completion of aviaries etc. :)

8)
Fah

Post by Fah »

Its a (detrimental) skill I have from my father :P

I actually spend very little time feeding my birds using those easy switch out feeders that when you unlatch, are like a spin door, so the food is suddenly outside the aviary. Its excelent in breeding times, especially with grumpy dads and mums around trying to keep you away from the bubs. (hello ex-pet breeders).

Hand-rearing... well... social life goes out the window for 1-2 months easily :P
azringneckfound

Post by azringneckfound »

Sounds exciting moving to a new home, making it your own and adding new birds to your family. Definately post some photos when you get a chance. Can't wait to see them. Since they are in an avairy are you still close and hands on with them or are they more independent?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well the breeders are all hand reared, and I keep up a solid relationship with all the conures. My 1yo sunnies having been in the aviary for 3 months now are still pet quality with the amount of time i spend with them in the cage.

Indians, from my experience are one of the worst birds to have a hands on relationship with the breeding ones. The more friendly the ringneck the far more violent they are as breeders. I dont recomend using a pet ringneck as breeders to anyone unless you truely dont want them as a pet. The best of pets even with constant playing, lose the reliability not to go for fingers / face.

Conures are easier, they bond to one person if you have hand reared young you constantly stay in contact with as breeders. My friend can go in there and play with the bubs with no problem from parents etc... however stanger comes in... death is on their beaks :P

I get a massive amount of joy from birds... especially asiatics (indians / alexandrines etc) so im constantly around the aviary and often hand feeding through the wire (on less friendly pairs). Every single bird I keep has to take food from my hands :P I dont stand for anything less heh.