New to the irn forum and i have questions!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

christopherab

New to the irn forum and i have questions!!

Post by christopherab »

Hello everyone! I'm thinking about getting a parrot to spend lots of time with and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get the bird considering I have a full time job? I usually work from 5 am till 3 pm and some days I work 2pm to 10pm, I figure I have more than half my day no matter what hours I work. I do plan on spending about 95% of my off time with her to grow aa bond with it. Iv been doing a lot of information on this topic and I get many different opinions but that's only from reading other peoples forum post, I figured if I put my hours into the post someone will give me a better idea on what to expect on the days I work my mornings and the days I work nights, maybe their is someone out there that I can relate to. I pretty much would like the know the hours I should feed her if I were to work from 5am-3pm as well as 2pm-10pm. I live in an apartment by myself so when I'm gone I'm planning on leaving the tv on or buying it a special training tape to occupy her while I'm gone.

I have a cage that meets the minimum requirement size, should I invest on a bigger cage to let her have more play room.(I'm afraid that if I introduce her to the smaller cage and then buy her a big cage she wont want to go in thee big one) should I just get a bigger one from the beginning.

Also I would like to feed her only the best food there is for a Ringneck, that being said, what brand(s) should I lean towards and what should I stay away from. what are some good healthy treats to feed her.

I would also like to know an estimate on how much I'm looking to spend a month for everything. I will buy plenty of toys for it to play with, what are some good toys to look towards.

Thanks to everyone who is willing to give me a helping hand!!
AJPeter

Re: New to the irn forum and i have questions!!

Post by AJPeter »

It is always hard for birds when their owners work during the day time, but many people do this, leaving the TV on is a very good idea, also l would leave the cage open, make sure electric cable are hidden or lifted off the floor, recently l thought my bird would like to listen to the radio but she looks at the TV in such a sad way l turned it back on. The breeder or dealer will advise you on food and when. The rule for cages is enough room to flap their wings anything smaller and then you have to leave it open during the daytime. Get the biggest cage you can afford.
Each bird is different what one will eat another will not, you have not said what country you are in but here in Great Britain you could expect to pay up to £200 for a cage seeds and fresh and veg minimal expenditure toys about £10 each I get very good service from Northern Parrots,
christopherab

Post by christopherab »

Thanks for the advice!!! much appreciated
demo1312

Post by demo1312 »

also , if you live in an apartment how good are your neighbours?, as they can be quite loud.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My neighbour is very loud at 3 am!