Hello there - some advice needed

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

chloeweatherstone

Hello there - some advice needed

Post by chloeweatherstone »

Hi, My name is Chloe. I have been in love with IRNs since I was very little. However, I am in need of a little advice.

I went out to buy a cage last weekend. All is well, been to buy some toys (definitely need some more :P ) and I have sand, crushed oyster shells etc.
I have arranged to go and view a pair of green IRNs this Saturday, with the intention of buying them.

The current owner has informed me that neither of the birds are tame (as she doesn't have much time to give them attention). Neither of them have learnt to speak as of yet (they are around 8-9 months old). They are female and male (both from the same hen) so I'm a little worried they will begin to breed in the near future? as I plan to keep them together.
She has told me that the breeder she bought them off told her they were 100% male and female (so I'm not sure how reliable this is). I have asked for more pictures and she is sending me some tomorrow, so I can post these too if possible.

I would just like a little advice on the steps I need to take to ensure these Indian Ring necks are healthy birds and i am going to the be right person to take them on.

I love challenges and therefore taking on a slightly older bird with no social traits at all at the minute isn't an issue as I would like to see it as a project which I can bring on to give the birds more confidence, does that make sense?

My intention: well like I mentioned above, I would love nothing more than to bring a bird into my home and change its perception on the human life. From the information the current owner has given me, they don't come out of their cage and no attention is given to them. I would like to change that, give the birds as much attention as physically possible and allow them to gain trust in myself. I would like to teach the IRNs to talk, sing & the rest of the jazz, so would this be possible? considering the status they are in at this moment in time? if so, how much time, roughly, do you think this would take?

I would like to take precautions to ensure i am getting a happy healthy bird. I don't mind the cost (and the colours don't really play a significant part in this) as long as the birds are happy and healthy that is all that really matters.

So, please please please, all you IRN lovers out there, is there anything you have inform me of before i make the commitment and hand over my money? What sort of questions do i need to be asking? I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Chloe Weatherstone :x :-bd
sanjays mummi

Re: Hello there - some advice needed

Post by sanjays mummi »

Firstly, you need to consider, that if they are male and female, and from the same hen, they will breed, and it will be incestuous breeding, any genetic health problems or deformities will be magnified, and offspring will be smaller than average.
Secondly, Not all IRN's talk, my bird can say a few things, but not very often, and so quietly, you can't always hear it properly. You may find too, that two birds won't give You much attention, as they are bonded to each other. As for determining gender, I'd suggest you purchase a DNA testing kit,
These are things to consider,