New Ringneck Owner in AZ

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

azringneckfound

New Ringneck Owner in AZ

Post by azringneckfound »

We just became owners of a stray ringneck. Bought a huge cage to care for him until we found the owners thinking if we did we would find a bird of our own. We always wanted a bird. The people who found this bird were feeding him wild seed and he was staying in a tiny dog carrier. Now he has a penthouse suite with healthy food, and organic veggies an a bit of fruits to snack throughout the day. He gives off a single squawk if we leave the room. Then he follows us to where we are. He loved being with us and has to always sit on us. Only goes on the finger if you are firm and it is his bedtime or you are relocating him. Spends the day outside his cage. Today is his 8th day with us. He woke up on the wrong side of the bed. We put him to sleep on time and feed him only what he was suppose to have. No seeds even. We have been firm and loving and things were perfect until today. That is why I am here. He is attacking everyone but me, not being have. He flipped his water dish, wont get on the finger even at bedtime when he loves to. Bit my husbands cheek, and attacked my daughter even when she stands firm without challenging him. Everyday was perfect until today. Nothing was different today than any other day. I am so sad. We had the same routine. He comes out in the morning and stays with us until bedtime. I am afraid the honeymoon period is over and his true colors are coming out. I am about to change my found bird post to bird for sale.. We do not yell or swing at him. He has a solid yellow ring so I am assuming he is passed the age of bluffing. The first 7 days were heaven and he was so happy and content and would even sleep on us. We read everything on the bird and have been so careful on how to take care of him.... So that is why I am here to learn more. I don't want to give up on him. I just hope we are a strong enough family unit for the little stinker.
Last edited by azringneckfound on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella

Post by Bella »

When we 1st had billy he had his full ring but still he went through a stage like the bluffing stage and i stayed firm and it passed and now he is great :D stay firm and patient it should pass
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
LAAnnie

Don't give up..............

Post by LAAnnie »

You have a beautiful male IRN there -- please don't give up on him. My bird, Pretty Girl (PeeGee for short) was also a "found bird" as an adult, four years ago. She was almost wild when I found her. It took a long time and lots of interaction and patience to get her as tame as she is now. She will always have a bit of a wild streak, since she was not hand-raised. Make sure you stick-train your bird first. He must learn to get up on the stick so you can move him or put him in his cage when needed. If PeeGee gets nippy or crabby, I immediately get the stick and put her in the cage for a "time out", just like a child. She knows that's gonna happen if she gets nasty, but sometimes she can't help herself. I've watched these birds interact with other birds, and that's the way they are -- they can be affectionate with each other one minute, and squawking & fighting the next. That's their nature. The females are particularly moody, especially during hormonal seasons. I know PeeGee's body language very well. so I am usually able to avoid getting bitten. These birds are so beautiful and fascinating, it's definitely worth the time & effort to train them and win their trust. When your bird bonds to you, he won't be quite so nippy. One thing that might help: get his wings clipped. for some reason, when their free-flying is somewhat restricted, they become more docile.
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

Hello and welcome!

Please don't get discouraged of this one bad day. How do you know tomorrow is going to be the same? Unfortunatly this is the reason why there are so many un-wanted birds, a change in behavior and instead of working through it, people give the bird up. He is probably testing his boundries with his new family, if you keep doing what your doing and staying firm, it will pass. You already know what a sweet bird he is! I couldn't imagine how many homeless people there would be if we gave them up for having a bad day!
azringneckfound

Thank you for your responses they are greatly appreciated. We always seem to get the quirky pets. We tend to have the understanding of how to be there for them. Buddy our ringneck is like having a child for the first time. You freak out not knowing what to do and what means what..lolol We are feeling like new parents. Taking the care of this sassy little fella so seriously we are putting in great effort to gather all the information we can to understand him and his needs. Our cat nor hermit crabs have ever had a bad day..lolol We have little drama around the homestead so we were like whhooaaa nelly. heehee We are in this for the long haul. We don't give up that easy but when you don't know anything it is overwhelming. We took him to a tropical bird store today. They wrapped him in a damp towel, clipped his wings properly, trimmed his beak and nails. Boy did that shake him up..He tends to talk and sing mainly when he is not happy..lolol Before his trip he fell asleep on my husband. He always likes to be on one of us. (Except yesterday) They guess him to be between 1.5 and 2.5 years old. Watching the pros handle all the birds really helped us gain more courage and understanding of them. Here is a picture of Buddy today at the spa..hahahaha Thanks again....

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Maybe he knew he was going to the beauty parlor and didn't want all that "sissy" manicure stuff lol

8)
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

Its great to hear you guys are in it for the long run! I wish someone would wrap me up in a towel and give me a pedicure hehe
azringneckfound

Aces Wild wrote:Its great to hear you guys are in it for the long run! I wish someone would wrap me up in a towel and give me a pedicure hehe

lolol you are too funny. Today is his first day he has been taking naps on us with his head tucked in his back. I know the first 7 days he never took a nap even though he went to bed from 7:30pm to 9:00am. Maybe it finally caught up with him. I didn't know they napped during the day.
Karla010507

He is Adorable

Post by Karla010507 »

Welcome, :)

I want to tell you that Buddy is adorable. I like the pic you have of him Preening his tail feathers in your avatar under your username. I read your first Post about you being owners of a stray ringneck and wanted to tell you that I admire you for taking the responsibility and care of an IRN with love and patience. I also like the pic of him when he is wrapped in a towel and having his nails trimmed. Keep on loving, patient, and caring for him and you'll see that he will Thank You in his own way. :D
Thanxs
Attentively,

Karla and my wonderful IRN Pepe
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

That picture of Buddy in the towel is priceless!

Also the photo of him preening his tail feather. My Pretty Girl does the exact same thing, every day. I love to watch her groom herself and take a bath.

I would say that Buddy is much tamer than Pretty Girl was when I found her. It took me many months to win her trust.

Even now, she sometimes "relapses". The other day, I was taking a shower. She likes to sit on the towel bar and get wet while I shower. I was just climbing out of the tub, when, for no particular reason, she decided to bite me on the ****! (Just a little nip). I don't hold it against her. She is, after all, a wild creature at heart.
IndianRingneckBoy

Post by IndianRingneckBoy »

Welcome i hope yu and your IRN will have a happy life
IRN - Koi
Cats - Ozzy,Marely,Chester
azringneckfound

Bella wrote:When we 1st had billy he had his full ring but still he went through a stage like the bluffing stage and i stayed firm and it passed and now he is great :D stay firm and patient it should pass

Your bird Billy looks just like ours. How old are they when the males bluff? They are guessing Buddy is 1.5 to 2.5 years. I have been reading all the posts on here and it seems bluffing may have a wide time frame in which it can happen???
Bella

Post by Bella »

azringneckfound wrote:
Bella wrote:When we 1st had billy he had his full ring but still he went through a stage like the bluffing stage and i stayed firm and it passed and now he is great :D stay firm and patient it should pass

Your bird Billy looks just like ours. How old are they when the males bluff? They are guessing Buddy is 1.5 to 2.5 years. I have been reading all the posts on here and it seems bluffing may have a wide time frame in which it can happen???

This may help not sure if it tells your around what age http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/ i dont know billys exact age but he is at least 3 :D hope the link helps :wink:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
azringneckfound

That was a great link! The store groomer said possibly having a spray bottle for when he attacks our daughter because it upsets her and makes her cry. I am glad we haven't implemented this yet. Thank you so much!!! :)
azringneckfound

I am so greatful for all the friendly replies. Everyone has such beautiful birds on here! I didn't know they came in such a variety of colors. I am going to post this no reply needed. This way down the road when I am more experienced I can look back and giggle.

My ringneck goal list:

1. Get Buddy to bathe he is not fond of water.
2. Master diet and recipes.
3. Teach him to say "I'm a chicken" and to sing "You are my Sunshine."
4. Teach myself to quit worrying so much and try not to read into his behavior so much.lol