New IRN Mommy

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

TikaJade

New IRN Mommy

Post by TikaJade »

Hi, I am new here. I have two cockatiels, and I'm getting an Indian Ring Neck within a month when he is finished hand feeding.
I also have a Pionus who I am re-homing.
I've been researching everything I can find on the internet about IRNs, but any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Welcome to the board!!

But I have to ask why you are rehoming your Pionus?

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
TikaJade

Post by TikaJade »

I got the Pionus about 4 months ago. I didn't know much about her past and she was 1 1/2 years old. At first she was shy and then she got over that. It's the biting that gets to me. She bites so hard and she's so unpredictable that I don't trust her at all anymore. She can be sitting on your hand and be ok, and then she'll bite. I don't mean a nip or drawing a little blood, I mean a clamp that is really painful. My finger will tingle for hours afterwards.
I've worked with her a lot the whole time I've had her, and now I guess I've given up. I don't have room for many birds, but the room I have I want to have something that is at least semi-friendly.
One of my cockatiels was the same way when I first got her, but now she's so sweet. She still nips once in a while, but she's completely different and trusting now.

Jen
Donna

Post by Donna »

This is exactly what I thought you were going to say.

Before you go out and get a baby ringneck I would advise you to read a lot of posts here on the behavior problems associated with ringnecks they can and usually will be the type of bird you don't want. There are people here that are having the same problem your having with your Pionus and these are hand reared handfed babies.

All parrots are going to nip bite and have mood swings at the drop of a dime. Do more research before you buy one.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
TikaJade

Post by TikaJade »

If ringnecks are that unreliable, what is a good kind of parrot? I know some conures are okay. My ex boyfriend had nandays, and they were fine, an occasional bite here and there, but not constantly. I held them all the time, and they really seemed to like me.
I had thought about getting a sun conure, but I think it would be too loud here since I have neighbors.
I'm kind of new at this, but I'm looking for something that doesn't bite all the time. I know that parrots will bite, but hopefully there are some out there that stop biting to take a breath once in a while. :D
Donna

Post by Donna »

but hopefully there are some out there that stop biting to take a breath once in a while.
ROTFLMAO

Welcome to parrots!!

For people that love having a bird they can actually interact with I would go with a bit bigger bird like the Eclectus, or the Timneh African Grey's
I'm really not trying to poop on your parade in getting a ringneck but I would just hate for you to make that leap and not be happy with your choice. I'm not a good sales person when it comes to IRN's I tell the truth about their behaviors and their not for the skidish person afraid of a bite.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Bella

Post by Bella »

I agree with donna if you want a ringneck you have to be prepared for a hell of a ride billy has taken a chunk out of my arm he has gone for my face bitten my ear basically bullied me he has actually chased me to bully me :? I had him in december and with constant work and being bitten HARD and very nastily he isnt as nasty and has come a long way. But you can never judge any bird one minute billy was like the devil himself then the next morning like a little angel and i know someones fid has done it the opposite way and has now turned nasty. you need to be prepared with any bird that it may not be the way you hoped and wanted
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
TikaJade

Post by TikaJade »

I appreciate your honesty. I would rather know what I'm getting into than be surprised.
Although I would absolutely LOVE to have a gray, basically my favorite of all the parrots, it's a little out of my price range right now.
I can afford the food and vet bills with no problem, and give a bird more love than it knows what to do with, but the grays and eclectus are pretty expensive, usually over $1,000 from what I've seen.
I'll have to think about what to do.