Salem and I are new to the list

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Wendy

Salem and I are new to the list

Post by Wendy »

Just a quick intro to say hi.. I am from the Mornington Penninsula, not far out of Melbourne, here in Australia.. I live with my partner, our fur friend Mister P and as of yesterday a beautiful 4 month old IRN who I have named Salem.
I am a wee bit nervous as he has come from an aviary into a large cage.. he hasn't really eaten although had a few tentative nibbles of a corn cob.. Hopefully he will settle and eat soon.. Anyways.. I am loking forward to learning and sharing the joys of birdhood..
Wendy
Martini101

Post by Martini101 »

Hi, I'm new as well. I've gotten my beautiful IRN about 2 weeks ago now. Welcome, these folks are just wonderful, they have great tips and comments!
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Wendy

Welcome to the list... I'm from Brisbane. I have 2 IRNs, Paulie is green, and waiting for DNA sexing results, and Toby, blue is a male. Paulie and Toby are complete opposites. Paulie is outgoing and will try anything whereas Toby is very timid, and have only just started to take treats from me.
Cheers

Lene
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Wendy, welcome :)

I am in NSW not far from Bathurst. I have a few IRN, about 17!! :p I have green, blues, greys, lutino, and a few others

You will find that once Salem has settled in he/she will start to eat.

What colour is Salem? Would love to see photos to :)

:)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi Wendy and welcome! I'm up the road from you, Seaford for the next week as we are moving. :D I wonder if you got Salem from the same breeder as my Yoda? They could be siblings.. haha.. well thats Salem is a blue. Salem will settle in fine, give him some time to feel comfortable. Yoda didnt eat much the first few days, but soon turned into a piggie and now eats everything and anything. :lol:
Any questions ask away. Looking forward to getting to know lil Salem. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
riantango08

Post by riantango08 »

hi wendy
welcome, im fairly new as well,and im loving being part of this lovely family of bird lovers.
i have a 4monthold lutino named tango,and ive just sent off feathers to see if its a she or he.cant wait to find out.
im not far from you either and also just around the corner from you lauren
about 5 min in carrum, our birds could have a playdate like my son does!!!
:lol: :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Oh I love this small world! Its a party on the beach.. haha. I wish IRNs would tolerate a birdy harness otherwise we could have a party on the beach.. haha. Pakenham is not a long drive away still. Thats where we are looking at moving to. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Thank you for the welcome everyone... Pinkdevil.. Salem is blue.. and I shall post a piccie a bit later today..
He has started to pick a few things.. He isn't muvh of a seed eater.. so I got him some pellets..lol.. he isnt much of a pellet eater either :roll: He terrorises zuchinni and in his efforts to shred it he must be eating some.. the same with corn on the cob.. he picks grapes out of his seed bowl, without touching the rest (put the grapes in there to encourage him to the bowl).. I moved his bowl a little higher up the cage today, and earlier found him eating a sunflower, so maybe that was the problem.. On the whole he is loverly and can't wait for him to settle and get a bit more friendly.

Lauren..I got Salem from a man in Mt Evelyn but he had the birds in Dandenong.. I think he had a pair of IRN's that had chicks and not really a breeder..

Ok off to take some photos.. will have to find where to post them
Wendy
Wendy

Salems Photos

Post by Wendy »

I posted a few pics of Salem over at the Photo forum.. he looks a bit moth eaten compared to some of the birds I have seen here..
http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtop ... 2216#42216

Wendy
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

He is a beautiful bird even if he is a bit scruffy. Maybe a moult?

giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Hello Wendy, welcome, I hope you are having good time with your new ringneck.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

I soooo am excited :lol: In the photo forum I mentioned a lady who owned a Bird Warehouse said not to put toys in Salems cage yet.. as he had to get used to it first,... :? Welllllllllll.. I read what Justin had said about Oliver.. looked at lots of piccies of everyones cages ... and thought nope you all are the ones with the experince. My man and I went to the local pet store and spent a bit more money than we expected :shock: but got Salem some great toys..
So yesterday afternoon we moved his cage to a new location. Derek drilled a hole in a branch and wedged a 4cm peice of rounded and sanded chopped stick in said hole.. which became an apple or corn cob holder.. we rearranged some perches, put in a very cool and colourful ladder and this whirly-spiral rope thingy with bells on.. and we have a new bird!
He is jabbering/yelling away to everything, playing spider monkey on his cage roof, throwing grapes into his water bowl and eating toast.. oh it's great :D
Thank you all for being here... and for sharing your birds and knowledge.. I am now feeling a bit more confident that he is happy now.
Wendy
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That is great to hear that you have toys for Salem. I am sure he will have hours of fun exploring and playing with them. I have a few "spare" toys and rotate every couple of days. I find by doing this the birds tend not to get bored with the same toy and play more. Besides, what better excuse to go shopping!!!???!!! :P :lol: I also replace the cage perches with natural ones (gums are good). The birds love peeling the bark off and having a good chew on the wood. Just make sure the wood is safe for birds though :). Cat ball toys (ones with bells in), I have found are a favourite to. My birds love to pick them up with their feet or beak and carry them around...soooo cute :)

Last edited by pinkdevil on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

:-) i should have mentioned.. his perches are gum branches from the tree out back and there is one plum tree branch.. the tree needed prunning..
He did have a conventional perch which came with the cage, but watching him walk on them you could see him having trouble holding on and his feet slide, so we tossed it to use natural wood..
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the Family !! :D

Not far from me, over Phillip Island way :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless