Please note, there is not longer instant registration. All new users will need to request membership by registering first. Once registered, I'll contact you with further details to be approved. Spammers have hindered our wonderful little community here, for this reason, I had to remove instant membership access until the problem can be solved. Best wishes, IMRAN-C

Soon to be newbie and name help

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Cannsyl

Soon to be newbie and name help

Post by Cannsyl » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi all,
My name is Christy and in about 6 weeks I'll be the new parent of a violet/lavendar/purple irn boy. I'm sure I'll need some help and ears along the way. And any name ideas would be great it's hard to think of a name for a purple boy.

MissK

Re: Soon to be newbie and name help

Post by MissK » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:22 am

Hi and Welcome. I'm sure everyone has their own naming process that works for them. I feel it's nice to get to know your animal and see what name springs to mind. For birds, in particular, the gender is not always clear and is sometimes mistaken. I always suggest a gender-neutral name might be wise for people who bring home a young Ringneck because mistakes do happen. Ask yourself if you'd be pleased to have a male bird named Lola, or an girl named Alfred, for example.

My bird naming experiences are as follows:
One Ringneck came already named, the other had his ring, so pretty much assured to be male. I gave him a male name.
One Lineolated Parakeet came to me said to be female. I doubted, gave a gender-neutral name (Lynnie) and had him tested - boy. The other Lineolated was tested by the breeder, but I still gave a flexible name - Wally - short for Wallenda, the last name of a family of acrobats. I named all my Canaries with boy named since I bought them for boys, and they all were.

When I brought home my Budgies, I mainly used a combined method of my guesses and guesses of the sellers to name the young birds who didn't display dimorphism yet. I named them out of Rocky Horror Picture Show, since my first Ringneck came in named Rocky. SO, I ended up with a girl named Riff Raff and a boy named Magenta. The others were more appropriate. BUT, the off gender names didn't bother me; Rocky Horror is a kinda gender bending film after all, and the Budgies certainly didn't care. Don't think I would have wanted a boy Ringneck named Lola, though, so I think you really have to consider yourself when you roll the dice like that.
-MissK

Cannsyl

Re: Soon to be newbie and name help

Post by Cannsyl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks :) We are pretty sure we are getting a boy he will be DNA tested before we get him. Either way I think we are leaning toward Wicket which could lean either way. That may all change when we learn more about his personality :D
We do already have a male Canary named Sochi...we were pretty sure he was a boy but it was just after the Olympics and the name was catchy.