Hello from Cali!``

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Martini101

Hello from Cali!``

Post by Martini101 »

Hi all! I got an IRN last Monday. After searching for a feathered friend for a while I found one that really seemed to click. I'm a stay at home mom so I figured I had time to work with one if needed. I had a cocktiel growing up, still healthy and happy, my mom refuses to give him up, lol. I did some research and decided I was willing to work with this type of birdy.

Turns out I went to meet her (him?) on Monday night and they wanted to get rid of it pretty fast, I had driven a car as I didn't plan on taking it home just yet without thought first. The guy kept saying he'd drive it over tonight even tho I didn't have all the money. They said they didn't have the space. They had two other parrots and a good bunch of budgies.

I went back the next night to pay the rest of the money and he was on his way out to get a large parrot for half the selling price, and has the two other parrots advertised for sale as well. :cry: Obliviously he's just in it for the money, how sad. I wish I could do something.

He told me he sold it to some guy who was abusive and had neglected her, then got her back. It took me a few days but finally have her stepping up. She's wants love but is still so timid. My husband just got back from FL, he's military, and his second day back was actually getting her to step up from the cage. I let her in the shower with me yesterday morning and she was like totally sedated :o she just sat on my hand and let me pet her everywhere and kept closing her eyes.

I'm introducing new foods everyday to her, as far as I know the poor thing hasn't had anything except seeds, she's a little weary on things but seems to love applesauce.

Shes definately a little nippy, but we're giving her lots of love and she's looking like we're slowly making progress. Not a talker but can do the wolfe whistle, and seems like she may be trying to say hello.

Not too sure on how old she is or even if she's a girl. How can I post some pix up to ask you all's opinion? I've been reading the forum for the past few days getting some info, and decided it'd be great to talk to folks, who love their birdies as much as I do!
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hello and Welcome to the board!!!

There is a sticky in the photo forum that tells how to post pics.

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job with your new bird

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hello, welcome aboard :)

Good to hear that your new bird has gone to a great loving home.

Keep us updated on your progress with her

:)
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi, and welcome to the forum..

Sounds like you're doing great with your bird... I love how she/he will go in the shower with you...

There's a lot of great information on this site, so keep reading.. :lol:
Cheers

Lene
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of ringies. Whereabouts are you? We actually have quite a few southern Cal folks.
MCS
Martini101

Post by Martini101 »

I'm in Lakeside, so just up the road from you :) Everyday seems to bring something new with Martini, she can go from grumpy and having severe mood swings to screaming for me and going back and forth, haha! So they get more moody during breeding season? When is that here? I hope its not coming up, ugh shes already moody haha :!: My daughter is 8 1/2 months so shes teething too, very moody. I'm sure when hubby gets home he goes crazy sometimes :lol:
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

How about that cold front yesterday? Was the road closed down by you. What a mess.

It is getting to be spring in little birdie brains -- my budgies are all feeding each other and the finches are pulling feathers out of each others' necks. Gelly is being a bit of a terror, but some of it is that we have decided the aviary is our cage and we are protecting it all (from me, not Lola).
MCS
Martini101

Post by Martini101 »

Yea you mean Willow Rd? It's actually like a half mile down the road, but they closed it I guess by the 8. I always thought Michigan had weird weather but this was strange.

When is IRN breeding season, what do single females usually act like? Things are progressing here, but she goes to hubby right from the cage but won't let him pet her and acts scared. He tries a few times each evening when he gets home. With me I can't get her to step up from her cage but as soon as she's off it I can pet and give her some love, she still nips but its nothing, more of a quick nibble. I just remind her, no bite and I believe she gets it.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the Family !! :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless