help im new

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

riantango08

help im new

Post by riantango08 »

hi everyone this is my first time,im an aussie and i have just added a new addition to my family, a lovely 4month old lutino irn named tango.its my first time owning a irn i had a cockatiel b4 this(but she flew away as a forgot to clip her wings)she has just joined my other animals i have oreo the goat and piggy the rabbit.im looking forward to chatting with everyone and getting helpful hints on how to handle tango,shes a bit nippy at the moment when shes on her cage.if any has any tips,it would b greatly appreciated. :P
~~TC~~

Post by ~~TC~~ »

Hiya, I'm new on here and to IRN's too. I have found this forum to have some very friendly members which you can not beat when just starting out.
The best of luck with your new addition
~ TC ~
Bella

Post by Bella »

welcome :D :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

*waves from Australia to*.....Welcome riantango08.

Sounds like Tango is going through the normal IRN bitey stage. IRN do become cage defensive and they all seem to go through the "I want to kill everything" stage lol :lol:

How long have you had Tango? Not long by your post. It will take a short while for Tango to settle in to his/her new home and get used to you if you have just gor him/her.

What I have found work for me is try and distract them from biting with toys or food while having them stepup onto my hand. I think the best advice I can give you is try not to pull away when Tango lunges or tries to bite. This will let the bird think he/she has bluffed you into him/her being the boss!!! :roll: Another thing I had tried was when the bird was on my hand and still tried to bite, I moved my hand in a very slight rolling motion just enough to put the bird off balance making it think about staying on my hand rather than biting. But don't do this enough to make the bird loose total balance or want to fly off. Defeats the purpose. :D
When having Tango stepup onto you, don't hesitate, do it in a firm motion (saying stepup when doing so) to let him/her you are the boss. If you put your finger near and then move it away or flinch then once again in the birds eyes they have put the wind up you lol :lol: :lol: Which is probably what has happened but you don't want to show the bird that!!

If you have a read through the forum threads, you may find helpfull tips and tricks other people have used.

Best of luck

:)
riantango08

Post by riantango08 »

thank u to all for ur welcome.i have been reading through the forum for the last couple of days and found it very helpful.thanks for the tips pinkdevil,ill b starting my new training today,ive had tango for just over 1 month and she was getting good and not biting as much but we went away for a couple of days and when we came back she started being nasty. :? i think she was a bit lonely and is upset with me :lol:
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

Hello and welcome

There is an owner on here His name is leo and he has a lution irn and he is wanting to know the sex

His is about for months old

Mabye you could post some pics so he could compare yours to his?

Just a thought

WeLcOmE!
-Justin
leo

hi........

Post by leo »

hi welcome...
before i can say anything....

O MY GOD !!!!!!!!

" lovely 4month old lutino irn named tango.its my first time owning a irn i had a cockatiel b4 this(but she flew away as a forgot to clip her wings)"

I HAVE THIS STATEMENT TO SHARE TOO..EXCAXTLY THE SAME...HAHA...

thanks....welcome[/quote]
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
leo

hi...welcome

Post by leo »

welcome to our big IRN forum family...

i have tiel whach has flew away couple of months ago......
now i have IRN, lutino, 4 month old and name tango too...

looks like we are having same taste of bird...haha...

anyway...

for your problem, tango was also like that...
the method that i used and wrked for me is the "evil eyes"for biting...

its firmly and sternly say "no biting " and stare fiercely into its eyes when it bites...sometimes he enjoys biting till does not realise pair of evil eyes watching...thna u have to shake a bit just to make him realise that u are looking..it works on tango...

for the teritorial problem, may be you can refer to my post on the training section...i tried that on tango only, hope it work for your tango...
:lol:
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............