Hi! :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Rami

Hi! :)

Post by Rami »

well. Hi everybody! My name is Rami and I'm from Argentina, so my language is spansih but I know english, too.
I love parrots. And I have an Indian Ringneck 4 moths old who was handraised (not by me). So I came here to know more about them and wish you could help me. I don't know if it's a male or female so I'll have to wait til he/she reaches 2 years of age aproximately. The name is Sami. =)

And I have a little question... It's better to use gloves or not because when I didn't use gloves he bites me and sometimes blood appears, but just a little. It's not a big issue but whatever. Because now he can step up onto my hand but only when I'm using gloves. And when I don't use them Sami bites me. So I wish you could help me.
Thank you so much!
Donna

Post by Donna »

Welcome to the Board Rami and Sami

It's better not to use gloves if you want them to get used to human hands. How long have you had Sami? You may have to give him more time to trust you.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hiya Rami & Sami :)

I agree with Donna on the gloves. I know full well how mych IRNs hurt but with time, patience and love it will pay off. Try encouraging Sami to stepup on your hand using food as a reward. Worked for me.

:)
Rami

Post by Rami »

Well, thanks you so much for the replies!
I have patience and have a lot of time to Sami.
And I won't use gloves, thanks for the advice.
When I used gloves at first he tried to bite me too but I didn't move the hand because it wasn't soooo terrible. And now Sami knows that biting can't resolve anything.
But, Sami is very intelligent, he know when I use gloves and when I do not. So when I don't use gloves, he realizes and Sami puts his/her eyes very very little so he'll be agressive and then he bites me.
And with the gloves most of the things are ok.

Another thing... the first day we bought sami, we were in the car, and I grabbed some food into my fingers and he ate it! :) (without gloves)
He eats food from whatever the object or person is I think...
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol that sounds like most ringnecks. I know mine just love their food to

Natoru

Post by Natoru »

I'm not using gloves with my 1 year old which I'm taming (Was a aviary bird). I tryed giving him a bit of apple with them on, but he just kept biting them. Get him used to your hands.. put them as close to him as you can without him biting.. leave it there for a bit.. then withdraw, getting closer each time. I did that and I can now stroke his chest without being bitten ^^

I'm no where near getting him to step up yet, If I press against his chest or get him to try to, he just gets annoyed and moves away.
Rami

Post by Rami »

Well, thanks everybody!
I'll try that Natoru ;) thanks.
Any other tip? :P

Thanks!
Rami

Post by Rami »

Well today I grabbed a fruit in my fingers and put my arm before my fingers, so he will have to step up onto my arm and then grab de food. And it worked! He steped up in my finger, hand and arm. But he only did it for food hahah, but well, so now when I grab food in my fingers and put me hand before Sami will step up on my hand and then grab de food. :)
Should I continue doing this or not?
What do you tell me? :)
Thanks!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I would continue doing that as it is working. Over time Sami will learn to stepup without food. Just remember it takes time.
Keep up the good work

Rami

Post by Rami »

ok, thanks pinkdevil!
And should I use the clicker in this type of training?