Hi

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

lher6425

Hi

Post by lher6425 »

Hi

I am new to IRNs. I just got my first pair. I bought them from a breeder who had like 10 birds in a cage. The birds were all hatched this year and were originally handfed. However, they have not been handled in a long time. In fact they are so scared that they crash into the cage walls and screech whenever we go near them. I will give them some time to calm down. My son gave them the names of Shrek and Fiona because they are green. Hopefully they will calm down, otherwise they might just be our pretty birds to look at and not play with.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Welcome to the board :D The first thing I would do is seperate them and give them their own space. They are still young enough to tame them but it's much easier to do it when they are not caged together. If the wings are not clipped you may also want to do this. (both wings) Give them plenty of time to settle in and then start working with one at a time. Take them away from their cages and teach them the step up step down command first. You may get bit a few times but don't react to it they love drama in any form. Good luck and keep us posted. IRN's are not cage birds they have to have flock socialization. You are the flock leader and they have to learn that first.

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and welcome! Love the names Shrek and Fiona. :D Definately separate them. Give them a few weeks to get familar with the new surroundings. How old are they? You can tame them. A wing clip would help this too. Once they have settled, one at a time, you can try teaching the first step. 'step up'. From there you can progress. Remember this will take some time. The key word for new bird owners is Patience. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family darlin.

Yep .. separate them. Give them a few weeks to a month or two to settle in and get use to you and movements around them, get use to their new surroundings. Once they don't skitz out everytime you go near them,I would take the plunge and give them a clip and begin training and taming from there. Just my opinion from experience.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

lher6425

Post by lher6425 »

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. They are both about 8 months old and their wings have been clipped already. I have separated them. Shrek is not as spastic as Fiona. So I hope that at least we will have one that will be tame. Fiona bites, screams, and goes crazy. It might take awhile for her.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Welcome to the forum.