Hello everyone!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ash86

Hello everyone!

Post by ash86 »

I came across this site when I was first thinking about rescuing a little IRN. I'd known a little about them before but was kind of scared to bring a new bird (especially an abused one) into the family, especially because of my spoiled rotten little keets. I didn't know how they would react to having another bird in the house. But, after reading about experiances you guys have posted here, I decided I would go and save the little guy.

So, now, as of last Tuesday, I have become the proud owner of a nameless little IRN who's had a tough life. He is 1 and a half years old and has never been allowed a toy in his short life. His previous owner bought him because he was 'pretty' (It took all I had not to strangle this woman), but she hadn't expected the mess so she'd put him in an extra bedroom. When I went to see him, I was expecting to recieve a few nasty bites as I opened his cage door, but, remarkably, it took him 5 minutes to come out of his cage and 3 seconds to find my shoulder (which now seems to be his permanent spot). His cage was FILTHY (disgustingly so...I can't even describe it), his water looked like mud, and he had nothing but hulls in his dish. I wanted to cry.

He's got some emotional issues, no screaming or biting but he hates his cage (which I think may be too small and am going to purchase another today), he is terrified of toys (though is getting a little better), and he has a phobia about being kept too low (in his last home he was kept on a bookshelf). He also plucks his feathers...his little back is nearly completely bald and he has picked his legs and one wing rather excessively. Now, I know how rare it is for an IRN to be picking, since they take pristine care of their feathers, so he does have a vet appointment. I have a feeling it's from his background though, and not an illness.

Anyways, that is a little history on my new baby. I thought it would be appropriate to join here, now that I've got him. I so love reading about all of your babies! I will try to post pictures of my little guy. In the meantime...I have been trying to pick a name for him. I've got a list going...maybe you guys could give me some input?

1.Hobo (My father thought of this...since the little guy is rather haggard looking currently.)

2.Elwood (I live in the Chicago area and anyone who has seen the Blues Brothers should understand my reasoning for this lol)

3.Pheonix (Because he will rise from the ashes of his old life...)

4.Kramer

5.Chester

6.Dudley

7.Rodney

8.Rosco

9. Turk (Because I got him so close to Turkey Day. :D ).

Thanks for any input guys, and and I look forward to posting with you!
Melika

Post by Melika »

How commendable! And welcome little no-name too. ^_^ I'm glad you had the foresight to visit here previously for research and the courage to take that baby home. Vet check is great, hoping to hear what happens. Larger cage- always good! Bigger the better. xD My cage is 32"Length x 23"Depth x 42"Height , which is good for IRNs if you can get it. It leaves plenty of room for toys and perches.

It'll take some getting used to, but playing with toys should come. You might avoid red toys though, sometimes red freaks our birds out still (they're better now that their older and have been more exposed to it). I think I would get him used to a good diet, with plenty of veggies and fruits. Then you can place a toy near his dish with all his favourite foods inside (introduce toy first, dish second, bird third) so he'll learn to ignore it. Once he's not afraid, then you can play with the toys with him. Hane loves to play with whatever I'm paying attention to (by play I mean kill) so it's a surefire way to get him playing with a new toy if he's hesitant (he used to be when younger). Food is usually a great motivator for IRNs!

I like Turk and Elwood, but that's me. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Need to see some pics to decide on a name (yes, I have no shame!) Congrats on your new baby; I am sure he will come around with a bit of loving, sounds like a sweetie. And as for the plucking, I have (well, I am babysitting) one tiel who is half naked and she is kinda cute that way!
MCS
Clare

Post by Clare »

What colour is he? I love the name Elwood for a blue IRN, just wish I had thought of it when I got my Blue.

I love the movie :lol:

I am so glad to hear you rescued him and he will have a loving home, and some toys.
ash86

Post by ash86 »

Haha I have noticed that he seems to want whatever I happen to have...and it's the same way with food. If I am eating something, he feels he should be allowed a bite...and I've got to be careful, because he will be sneaky and try to steal a nibble!

I did manage to get some pictures taken this afternoon, so here they are:

ImageImage

I really like the idea of Elwood for a blue one...that would be really cute. :D Maybe it wouldn't fit my green guy so well though.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww! Hello and welcome. :D What a special little man he is! So happy you took him in. I like Hobo, because its funny. :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Aww hello and welcome to the site. What a beautiful messy little molting boy you have there :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

kylie

Post by kylie »

He's definately a Rodney!

Welcome and he's just gorgeous no matter what you call him.
Kylie
ash86

Post by ash86 »

Aww thanks guys for being so welcoming. :)

As of yet, he's still nameless, but I've narrowed it down, thanks to you guys! :D

I'll let you all know what I pick. :)