Hello from Florida

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Karmic Kristy

Hello from Florida

Post by Karmic Kristy »

:) Hi everyone,
I'm happy to be here and thanks for having me! I am about to be a brand new mommy of a 7 mo. old IRN. I go this afternoon to pick him/her up. They don't know the sex but the name is "Ripley".
I can't wait to give Ripley lots and lots of love!
Apparently, when Ripley was weaned, he was left in his cage and not given any love or socialization so he has become very cage aggressive. The woman who bought him from the breeder thought she would take him on as a pet but has found she does not have the time to spend with him that he deserves. She is a breeder of lovebirds and conures so you can imagine the lack of free time she has.
I found Ripley through an ad on Craigslist.org and connected with the current owner about the bird she was offering. and so here we are. I am so excited and cannot wait to emabark on this journey with Ripley. I am a stay-at-home-mom so I have alot of time to socialize and love this sweet baby bird.
I don't know much about IRNs, which is how I found this site! I really love your site because it's straight and to the point informative. In fact, when I put a search into Google it was the first one up and I haven't looked any further. Good job guys!
So wish me luck and I'm sure I'll be popping in and out quite frequently with questions and conversations.
Until then,
Kristy
BTW do you think it's okay to change Ripley's name if I wanted? He is 7 months but has not been very socialized and doesn't talk as of yet. Just wondering...
Be the change in the world you want to see. ~ Mahathma Ghandi

Share the love, shed the light & pass the peace ~ Karmic Sense
Craig

Post by Craig »

Congrats on your new friend, and welcome to the forums. I live here in Florida as well, and have a wonderful female (well, so far... she's still young) who was very people-shy when I got her. Now, she's much better, will step up if she's out of the aviary, and sings her little heart out. Such a voice!

The first month I had her, Skitty would give a good bite (to let me know that she could if she wanted), which I promptly ignored. Afterwards she has stopped applying but the slightest pressure to get herself steady on my fingers when she steps aboard. No more biting.

I think you'll be happy in your new-found relationship, and your little buddy will eventually warm up to you, as mine is starting to with me. It takes a little time, patience, and a sense of humor, along with some yummy treats (Skitty likes bananas and peas) to help her feel comfy and accepted.

Regarding the name change, I never knew what Skitty's original name was, and named her because she was so "skittish". She hasn't spoken anything that sounds like a possible name, though she has quite a vocabulary of bird sounds from before and while inter-squawking with my Red-Headed Conure, Pappy. She even does the neighborhood birds very accurately. If you want to change your IRN's name, I would guess that she'd be O.K. with it, if you use it enough when conversing with her. But that's just my guess from my own experience. Others here may have different views, and more experience than I.

Good luck!

:)
Craig
Karmic Kristy

I am in love!

Post by Karmic Kristy »

:D I absolutely love , love, love her and I will post pics soon. I have no idea what the previous owner was talking about! I was told she was aggressive, better use light gloves at first, cage aggressive, bites, etc. but she has been just a sweetheart with us. She fell asleep on my daughter;s shoulder last night, she was rubbing up to our faces with hers, making lovey sounds, head scratches, etc. She didn't have a problem with letting me take her out of her cage, she played with her balls with me doesn't seem to mind the toddler either! I guess she is going to settle in quite well.
Thanks, Craig, for your info and nice to meet you, a fellow Floridian!
I am going to pick up some peas and bananas at the store this afternoon. I gave her some cooked broccoli this morning, she was okay with it.I am not sure how much to feed her and how often. Does anyone have any info on that? I am picking up seed and pellets also in a bit. Do I get Conure feed or cockatiel feed? What do you feed yours?Any info is so much appreciated from anyone and everyone!

I hope you are enjoying this beautiful day as I am, hope the weather lasts a little longer like this!

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family darlin :D Love Florida, been there 3 times (four months in total) going back in a few years with my son, we have friends in Orange City near Deltona. (met them online 7 years ago).

By the way I think Ripley is a wonderful name, why do you want to change it ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

BigChicken

Welcome!

Post by BigChicken »

Welcome and congratulations on the new adoption! As for diet, do a search on this forum to get that information. You may have to deal with a stubborn bird and slowly introduce a proper diet, although coming from a breeder, she may already be OK. I suggest you ask the breeder what she has been feeding. Please be patient with your new little guy, IRNs can often take a while to warm up to you. Start slowly, be gentle, calm and persistent, but don’t overwhelm her.
Christie

Post by Christie »

Everyone has already given you great info, so I just wanted to extend my welcome to you. :)
Proud birdie momma of:
Cockatiels: Tweety - 19, Unix - approx 11, Ash - approx 8
Indian Ringneck: Princess Buttercup - 7
Lady Gouldian Finches
Luthian - 4, Houdini and Lil Red hatch date 10/23/06
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey From the Keys! :D
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

I'm in Florida as well, Tampa Bay area. ^_^

I hope you find answers to all your questions, as much is already posted around the boards.

I'm glad to hear she's fitting in already and isn't the terror you were told to expect. Looking forward to some pictures. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and Welcome to the flock! Hope you find the info here helpful. :D I dont think Ripley would mind the name change. My eldest, was named Gilbert, then somehow, over 7 years its morphed into Jibby, now just Jibs. :lol: He now trys to say his name as 'Jibby' with more of a ? on the end like hes wondering why he is called so many names. :? Now I want to change my 1 year old name! haha.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Karmic Kristy

Post by Karmic Kristy »

:D Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for making me feel so welcomed to your forum. I have found so much info by going through all of the topics, WOW! I's great to see all of you fellow Floridians as well :o.
So, my new baby is now Kiwi and she/he seems to like it because she's responsive. It suits her/him, just didn't look like a Ripley. Besides, her personality is soft and sweet like a kiwi
Kiwi is doing well and I'm fining out what she likes and doesn't. Loves, to be cuddled and kissed, loves to hang out on my head and shoulder, would stay there all day if I let her. Doesn't care for Roudy bush, bananas, or apples, but loves Zupreem, rice and pasta, pineapple and apricot.
She gets very chatty when my husband has her, not aggressive, but chatty. She either likes him a lot or NOT!
The only time Kiwi tries to bite in anger is if I go to move her when she is content where she already is. Other than that, little love/play bites only. She likes it when I read to her and BTW she LOVES the pictures on this site of other Ringnecks, especially the big ones on the home page. She sits quietly and just stares at them with wide eyes!
:lol:
I will post pics soon and also was wondering, how do you or who does the banners some of you have of your birds with their names and pretty backgrounds?? I would really love one!

Thanks again, and as always, much appreciated!

Love, light & peace,
Kristy

:wink:

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Good to hear Kiwi is settling in well.

Do you have a photo editing program like Photoshop? You can make your own 'signiture' or you could ask someone here if they'd be kind enough to make one for you. Most of us make our own. If someone could spare the time for you, just give us some pictures of the lil one that you'd like in the signiture. Some of us are talented in the Photoshop area. I'm not that great at it. Still learning! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year