Hi all, I have been

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

cogden

Hi all, I have been

Post by cogden »

Hi all, I have been lurking for about a week learning all I can in a hurry about IRNs. You have been most helpful! I have 3 tiels that were rescues from Hurricane Charley 2 summers ago which got me involved with the Florida West Coast Avian Society in Sarasota/Manatee area. Two weeks ago, I agreed to foster a 14 yr old IRN whose male owner had to move in with relatives in Seattle and he couldn't take the bird. He was the only owner and wanted to make sure it got a good home so he turned it over to FWCAS. That being said, the first thing I realized when I went online was that "LarryByrd" was a female! I also altered her Hartz Mountain diet to sunflowerless seed and pellets plus gave her some sliced apples and a big swiss chard leaf. She thought she died and went to heaven! She had also not been out of her budgie size cage in years, if ever. So by the end of the first week, I open the cage door . She had been taking things from my hand so I tried to get her to step up-no deal-so I backed off and left the room for 5 mins until she came out. She's still not stepping up but she loves coming out for 2-3 hrs/day and she has a new name-Tinkerbell!

She is not talking yet but I heard her mimick my tiels who are in another room-( they have spent some time together on my screened porch last week) and she listens and pays attention when I talk to her. My dog and cats don't scare her and they have investigated each other closely. I'm hoping we find a quality home for her soon before I become totally smitten and end up keeping her. FWCAS does home inspections and interviews before adoptions and all adoptions need to be local (driving distance, at least). She definitely will need lots of special attention but she is friendly, funny and curious. Tinkerbell has had many opportunities to bite me hard and hasn't- she has nibbled at me but not broken skin; just warned me. Any tips would be appreciated and if you know of someone who would improve her life and theirs by bringing them together, please have them contact me at Ginich@AOL.com Thanks, Gini_________________We are forever responsible for what we have tamed.
http://bangaloretravel.aliveforums.com/
http://thanksgiving.dawnforums.com/
http://homegarden.aliveforums.com/
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello Gini and welcome to the flock here!

Wow 14 years young! What a funny first name too Larrybyrd! hehe Hope all goes well with 'Tinkerbell'.
Some say IRNs don't learn much after a few years of age, but personally I don't believe its true. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Still have to keep hope. Poor lil girl, shes probably willing to do anything to get out of that lil cage. Kudos to you for taking her in. Any questions just ask away. :wink:

Sorry for the late reply. Can't believe everyone missed ya. :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

MCS
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Melika

Post by Melika »

So, if I understand correctly, this little girl is up for adoption and you're her foster parent?

That's great! :D She seems to be doing well in your care, and we all secretly hope you end up keeping her. ^_~
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay