Hello

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Jim

Hello

Post by Jim »

I've posted a few times in the breeding section but thought I should introduce myself...

My name's Jim. I live just outside of Dallas with three IRN's (Jeff, Shiva and Parvati), a moustache parakeet (Tristan), nine budgies (Spiderman, Snowball, Garcia, Ophelia, Casper, Jiggy, Boom-Boom, Dennis and Colonel Tom). I'm fairly new to IRN's but have had other birds for years. I also breed discus fish.

When I'm not cleaning out birdcages or aquariums I'm a CPA. In addition to the fin and feather kids I also have five of the human variety. They'd be hurt if I named all the animals but failed to mention that their names are James, Alex, Patrick, Nathan and Gabrielle. The oldest is 15 and the youngest turns 1 next week. Never a dull moment around my house...

Jim
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello! Wow, you have soo many mouths to feed! :lol: They must keep you busy! Welcome to the family here. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

welcome to the family darlin :D

The name Ophelia makes me laugh, not coz its a funny name but there was a joke between my mum and her brother when she had me, my maiden name was Busch (german) said Bush. He joke with her about calling me Ophelia .. Ophelia Busch .. :shock: :lol:

My gosh so many fids and kids .. kudos and good luck .. lol
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

welcome to the site jim enjoy your stay ;)
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Jay

Post by Jay »

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the board. We share the same interests in IRNs, genetics, and discus fish. Pictures of my IRNs are everywhere on the board but I have some pictures of my fish in this thread.

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... php?t=4311

If you have time, post some of yours too. See you around.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm beginning to suspect we were identical twins seperated at birth. You aren't by any chance a 6'2" 39 year old redhead, are you? :D

I moved to Dallas from Seatlle last January and left behind most of the tanks and fish, bringing along only a pair of Thai Yellow and a pair of Red Snakeskins. I'll get some pictures up shortly.

Seattle water was pH 6.7 and about 3 degrees hardness out of the tap. I didn't need to do a thing to it and the fish spawned like clockwork as long as the water got changed every couple days. I haven't had much luck with the liquid rock that comes out of the faucet in Texas - heaven if you're into African cichlids. I'll have to start doing the RO thing if I want to get serious about spawning the discus again.

You're in the Bay Area, correct? Did you get your fish from Samson Chung at Universal Discus?

Jim
Jay

Post by Jay »

Jim wrote:I'm beginning to suspect we were identical twins seperated at birth. You aren't by any chance a 6'2" 39 year old redhead, are you? :D

I moved to Dallas from Seatlle last January and left behind most of the tanks and fish, bringing along only a pair of Thai Yellow and a pair of Red Snakeskins. I'll get some pictures up shortly.

Seattle water was pH 6.7 and about 3 degrees hardness out of the tap. I didn't need to do a thing to it and the fish spawned like clockwork as long as the water got changed every couple days. I haven't had much luck with the liquid rock that comes out of the faucet in Texas - heaven if you're into African cichlids. I'll have to start doing the RO thing if I want to get serious about spawning the discus again.

You're in the Bay Area, correct? Did you get your fish from Samson Chung at Universal Discus?

Jim

Of the tap, my pH is 7 and 60 microsiemens ... already conducive for breeding! .. Liquid rock.. lol...I feel sorry for you... I used to have an RO set-up when my discus breeders were down in LA.

I know Samson but I never got any of my stock from him. Most of my stock came from Jack Wattley, Bing Seto (Bay Area), Chad of Discus Obsession, Cary of Great Lakes Discus, and Alberto with Aquatechnics. I am also neighbors with Phil (forgot his last name) who owns a Discus LFS in the Bay Area and we were both members of DAAH and Simplydiscus.com forums. I've met many of the famous and infamous discus breeders over the years. I even managed to go to an Aquarama in Singapore back in the early 2000's....

By the way, I'm also in my 30's, 5'10" dark-haired of Portuguese and Asian origin. So we can still be "Twins" like Arnold Governator and Danny De Vito were.

:lol:
Jim

Post by Jim »

I had a plane stopover in Singapore a couple of years ago and decided to stay an extra day to buy some fish from David Lim at Fishiotribe. He won Aquarama in 2003 with a spotted leopard snakeskin. Real nice guy. I e-mailed him a few days before I got there and he responded with an offer to pick me up at the airport.

I'm going to Thailand next month to play golf and just maybe I'll see about visiting a couple breeders.

I've also picked up a few fish walking around the Mong Kok fish market in Hong Kong. Have you ever been there?

Jim
Jay

Post by Jay »

I've lived in Singapore as an expat for two years back in the 90's but I wasn't so much into discus then. At the Aquaramas, variations of Leopards and Red Melons always seem to be favorites year in, year out. Tap water in Singapore enables breeders to be able to do 100% water changes twice daily. Hardness and pH are optimum and even the temperature comes out at ~80 degF! Just amazing.

I've done extensive work in the Far East doing oil refinery and chemical plant work. Been to fish places in Penang, Bangkok, Singapore, and Hong Kong but I never brought home any because of work constraints.

I've been to the Mong Kok fish markets close to the train station. But most of my free time from my work in nearby Guangzhou was spent galivanting around the bars in Wan Chai and Tsim Sha Tsui districts :oops:
julie

Post by julie »

Welcome Jim and family.
I just had a look at jays link and in the banner at the top it says something like buy discus fish, bit of a coincidence.
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Welcome to the flock and nice to meet you Jim!

Wow you got lots of birdy, make sure you post pic and vid of them! We'd love to see and know more about them!