New to forum with rehomed IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

conurecrazed

New to forum with rehomed IRN

Post by conurecrazed »

Hello all! I am new here and mom to two wonderful furbabies and 4 fids :)

I actually just recieved my IRN today but have been doing alot of reading on this forum previously. My IRN is 10mo old and I am already her third owner. Her first owner brutally clipped her wings and I'm unsure if her wings with ever look natural again (it appears she knicked the wing do to cutting SO SHORT). Any, they little sweetheart is terrified and I do not have ringneck experience. I have been sitting by her cage with the door opening chatting with her. She does not panic about that, but if I move my hand anywhere near the cage it is BAD news.

Any advise is helpful, especially pace I should move, should I be confident and push forward or slow and let he come to me? Thank you very much, I look forward to getting to know you all.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

welcome to the family :D .. Thankyou for taking in this IRN and for searching out help.

Time and patience, slow and steady, with IRN it takes time to form trust and a bond. Move slowly, use techniques like offering favorite foods in your hands at a distance at first, then leaving it in the cage for her, the next time closer then leave it, and so on, until one day you are close enough that she can take it from you.

Remember that at this point she is in totally new surroundings, yet again. Always talk, sweet talk, always use voice commands when you take an action. This way she will learn what you are doing before you do it.

Our Kai made progress each week, but it took a good 6 months before he trusted us enough for step up and play times.

As for the wing clip, we could tell more from pictures, but our Jordan had a pretty severe clip at a very young age about 10 weeks, the breeder had no idea about clipping, he just opened the wing and cut straight up across the coverts and all. He is almost 2 and is pristine and beautiful now. It will take a good while for her to go through a full on moult and grow back her flights but she will. Then you can decide, depending on how tame she is, if you leave her flighted or get her wings clipped correctly.

This was Jordans clip :(

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

conurecrazed

Post by conurecrazed »

I just took pictures, although it is hard because I don't want her to hurt herself flailing about. But I think I have one you could see alright with.

Can't find my camera cord however...as soon as I do I will post. Jordans looks painful as well, but this little girl has nothing. As a matter of fact I've only seen her even flap one of them.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I really hope they didn't do that thing where they break the wing to prevent flight :cry: Oh god I would cry if I ever came across a bird that had that done to them.

I am so glad she is with you now :)
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

idont believe in any kind of wing clipping imo a bird was put on this world to fly so let them fly....

i dont like seeing images where they have nothing left it upsets me...

i would just take the time with the IRN its gunna be a while before she comes close to you she needs to gain trust what some idiots have stolen from her.....

patience is a virtue....
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and welcome to the family here.

Poor lil girl! I hope her wings mend soon.:(

Developing a relationship with your IRN takes some time. But with enough patience. You'll get there. Small steps each day. Let her settle for a week or 2. Make her see that your not a threat, by offering treats and just 'talking'. Once she feels comfortable, you can take a step closer and hold your hand near her. Small steps. Just remember, it takes time. :wink:

My Yoda (aviary baby) is only just becoming comfortable with me enough to sit with me and follow me around. We've had him since November last year.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year