Another newbie

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

kylie

Another newbie

Post by kylie »

G'day all.

I am Kylie and I am from Melbourne Australia. We acquired 'Sunny' a 2yo, (we think) female yellow from another member on this site back in March. We adopted Sunny as a second feathered member of our family, as we also have Coco who is a almost 2 year old grey cockatiel.

Sunny is special. Our previous owners told us her feet were broken at a very early age. She has deformed feet, but she can do almost everything a 'complete' RN can do. She has a slight limp also, but she is, as all are, adorable. She's not quite as friendly as I would have liked, but we are getting there. I will move onto teaching her some tricks when I have a little extra time.

She hasn't taken to our cockatiel and likes to chase Coco away, which he hates as he tends to be quite friendly, and will whistle and talk to her to try to make friends!

Sunny does not talk, but she is quite the noisy one. She has the usual sqwak but she also has a funny 'human' sounding laugh and of course wolf whistles.

Coco is quite the talker and has quite the vocab. He says: hello coco, where's coco, hello bird, hello Sunny and my favourite peekaboo. We are trying to teach him 'Crickey' as one of the videos I hunted through the net has a RN that says that also. Plus we are Aussies and that was Steve Irwin's catchphrase! He whistles the theme to the 'Adams Family' TV show, and the Collingwood Football club theme (not my choice!) and I am teaching him Happy Birthday right now. He sometimes gets them quite confused!

Sunny has not in the slightest produced any colour around the ring area. She has a separation of feathers in that area, so we think she is a she!

So that's me and my brood. I can blame my love for all things feathered on my dad who was an avid breeder of canaries and quails when I was young. When dad went into hospital about three months ago I adopted all his canaries (13 of them) as he will not be coming home. With those canaries I also have one remaining Love Bird, and we have two pink galahs. They are not tame unfortunately.

I have been reading this site since March, but had not signed in until now as I have been waiting quite some time for confirmation. But one thing has bothered me since I joined. I just cannot work out what FID stands for. I know one of you will put me out of my misery!

Oh I am a mum to three kids, plus a dog, cat and various fish!

Nice to finally be here and to contribute in a small way.
Kylie
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

nice to meet you. you have one full house there :shock: looking foward to some pics
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Welcome kylie and family,

Hope you enjoy your stay and make yourself at home with a cuppa, your fids sound like alot of fun.

Please post photos when you can we love seeing them
Adam and Dude
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

A warm welcome to you and your feathered-kids (hence fid). We love pics -- of everyone, but Sunny first, please!!
MCS
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family Kylie. Woohooo you will have to pm me with your general area, we have a few in vic now especially melb and surrounding, I really want to have a get together one day :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and welcome!! Oh no! Cocos a Collingwood supporter? hehe.. Cant wait to see your flock. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
laine

Post by laine »

hello Kylie, welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy it here. Just like me, I hope you get lots of information and enjoyment here. Nice to have another local (to me :lol:) aboard. Where in melbourne are you?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Welcome to the flock...

We love pictures :D

Dani
kylie

Post by kylie »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Thanks to catschair2 for allowing my mind to rest on what fids means. I was wracking my brain on what it stood for, rather than what it was short for! :D

For those melbournites wanting to know where I am, I live in Eltham and work in the city. Anyone close?

Pics on their way soon!
Kylie
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

South East. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
laine

Post by laine »

Hi, I am in northwest. - Caroline Springs
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I grew up in briar hill :D wow ! and I visit there alot .. I would love to come over and have a coffee one day and meet up with you.

I live in south gippy now
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless