Hello! Very new to ringnecks! Rescuing one~

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

crazybirdlady9871

Hello! Very new to ringnecks! Rescuing one~

Post by crazybirdlady9871 »

Hey there, from Newcastle, NSW, Australia!!! I recently have started fostering (pretty keen to adopt the big sook!) a rescue indian ringneck! He grew up bonded with a cockatiel, and thinks he is one, his partner passed away and he has started plucking!

I have 2 tiels here which he seems to like (if not be a bit cage aggressive). I would love any pointers, tips about these guys! He absolutely loves apples! Not sure what to do about the plucking as I assume he is grieving!

He was fostered to us 'untame' which changed as soon as we brought him home, He steps without command and snuggles in! No hard bites nothing like that! Thanks for reading!!
Wessel Gordon

Re: Hello! Very new to ringnecks! Rescuing one~

Post by Wessel Gordon »

crazybirdlady

First questions first: do you have a second cage? I'll try and explain.

My first bit of advice would be not to immediately house him with the cockatiels but to quarantine him until you have the ''all clear'' signal from an experienced avian vet. Either the rescue or one of your birds can inadvertently carry an undetected illness (in human terms think something invisible but deadly) that can be passed on easily...I think you get the point I'm trying to make. During the quarantine period I would suggest housing the new bird as far as practically possible from your beloved cockatiels and to go to the extent of washing your hands thoroughly after changing one cage's food and water and before doing the other. I know I might be over-stressing my point but better safe than sorry.

My second pointer would be that if you want to house the rescue in the cockatiel cage with them to be on constant alert the first couple of days for any signs of cage aggression from your resident flock of two. It would be a stranger coming into their territory and he's going to compete for resources (food and water) that they so far had a monopoly on. I don't think I have to point out that in nature that if a competitor moved into a settled territory and start using resources the resident animals will either try and chase it off or if that fails simply kill it.Even if the cockatiels are a smaller species than an IRN with a much smaller beak the cockatiels have strength in numbers if things came down to a fight.
crazybirdlady9871

My tiels and the rescue have all been given the all clear - by an avian vet! They have seperate cages, big ones! but I would like to be able to leave both doors open when I am home :) we put them together on the playstand earlier, and my male tiel (and dna tested male ringneck) were flirting! heart wings and singing!
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Then I would say you're off to a very good start. Using two separate cages gives the birds a nice sense of ''my territory..your territory...our territory'' (if that makes sense). From what I know of birds and dogs they'll soon work out who will tolerate who in any particular space they share .
crazybirdlady9871

Good to hear! I have heard conflicting things from different people, ranging from "your cockatiels are going to get killed" to "make sure he doesnt try to mate with your female cockatiel" :| So I was very wary and stood near them while they interacted, my male tiel gave him a bit of a peck when he started ignoring him (my tiel is an attention lover) and the IRN pecked him back but no one was injured, so I guess that's a good sign.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi and congrats on your new friend.

Forums and stuff tend to have a lot of very paranoid members, because there are people will buy a tiny cage and try to jam a ringneck and a cockateil or 2 into it.... Seriously, you wouldn't believe the stupidity of mankind!
Flighted birds that have space get away from each other generally should be okay under supervision, I think. Just do supervise them, especially around cages. A ringneck can rip off a teils beak very quickly. i have seen quite a few mixed flock aviaries that include ringnecks and teils successfully.

I got quite offended on a Facebook group when I shared a video of one of my birds opening a very stiff door with her beak and someone thought they should give me a lecture on how the door could jam on her toes... both my birds can (and have)land on that door together without it moving... It is a feat of strength that my girl can pry it open with her beak! I guess people on the net just cater to the lowest common denominator, which you will find quite common if you stick around...