Kiwiland aka New Zealand!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

PrimePearl

Kiwiland aka New Zealand!

Post by PrimePearl »

Hi all

I am getting my first pair of parrots tomorrow morning, bright and early! I have already spent the last few days reading most of the articles this website has available to read and now I have signed onto the forum.

I live all the way in New Zealand, a tiny little country on the bottom of the world next to that big one - Australia.

Below is the birds I'll be picking up tomorrow. They are a three year old bonded pair, so I hope they will be sitting on eggs in no time as it is Spring here (4 days into it actually).

I spent the last few days building this aviary for them also. It's a 2m x 1m aviary that is sitting on my deck. I do hope it is big enough.

I own a second aviary as well that is 1.6m x 2.4m which I keep Gloster Fancy Canaries, Zebra Finches, a pair of Yellow Turquoisines , Common Redpoll Finch and a lonely young white-faced Cockatiel in. It's a bit of a motel for the birds really, as the only birds I let breed in the aviary is the pair of turks and a pair of redpoll. The gloster and zebs are all separated into breeding cages this time of the year.

This is the link to my Facebook page in regard to my stud. Feel free to "like" it and follow me there too.
https://www.facebook.com/primepearlcanaries

I'm really looking forward to everything I can learn from you all, especially about hand-rearing these beautiful birds!

Kylie
:D :) :P :wink: :P :) :D
InTheAir

Re: Kiwiland aka New Zealand!

Post by InTheAir »

Kia ora
You know what would be cool? If you pioneer co-parenting ringnecks to produce well adapted, not so over humanised birds :) I have a hen as a house pet who was handled pre-fledging, she wasn't tame when I got her but she warmed up to me really well due to the breeder handling her as a bub and is as good as a bought one now! If I was not ethically against breeding parrots for the pet trade, I'd try with my birds because I've had a few ideas how to fine tune the process. You could try them for me :)
PrimePearl

Post by PrimePearl »

InTheAir wrote:Kia ora
You know what would be cool? If you pioneer co-parenting ringnecks to produce well adapted, not so over humanised birds
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that, that was my intention... if the parents don't attack the crap out of me while in breeding mode. These are FULL aviary birds and therefore quite wild.

The other thing I was thinking about doing was leaving at least one (maybe two) with the parents to raise completely, as to not deprive them of their parenting skills also. As these birds have already laid and raised clutches in aviary of their own, I do believe they are good parents.

I intend to raise the babies in pairs too, so that they are not completely "humanised" so to speak. But there's something beautiful about a "humanised" bird though. I had a very human like cockatiel once and I loved her to bits and everyone was in awe of her and wanted a bird just like her.

Are you from New Zealand InTheAir? Because the pet bird industry over here is not very big. It's becoming harder and harder to own your own house here in NZ (Auckland especially) and most Landlords do not like cats and dogs in their rentals. So birds are becoming a more and more common pet to keep regardless of being tame or not. Most families like to have a non-human extension to their family.

Also, birds are not allowed to be imported into New Zealand, so what we have here, is all we have here. So to keep the birds here, breeding them is almost a must.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Although I will be breeding for the purpose of selling into the pet industry, I endeavour to do my absolute best to keep them healthy. Limiting them to just two clutches, making sure they have a completely, healthy diet, appropriate housing and keeping minimal birds in those aviaries also.

I literally have this one pair of ringnecks in this one aviary. In the other aviary I currently have one pair of common redpoll finch, one pair of yellow turks, one cockatiel, one roller canary and one (one-legged) gloster fancy canary. All in their own separate breeding cages at the moment I have one pair of border-mix canaries, three pairs of gloster fancy canaries and one "trio" of non-breeding zebra finches (had to remove the nest because the hen was incessantly laying - not good for her at all).

I love my birds so much! They're an extension of myself. They're so majestic.

Anyway, feel free to share your ideas with me InTheAir. I may try to implement them.

:wink:
Kylie Pearl
Green - all the way
:P :) :) :) :D :) :) :) :P
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Kylie,

Even if it is a bonded pair you're getting I won't be too excited about their prospects this breeding season because of the new environment. Personally I would think that they'll settle down first and start raising a clutch this time next year.

Wessel