Ringnecks died

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Leely100

Ringnecks died

Post by Leely100 »

Hi, I bought a blue ringneck
and within days it died, I got another 2 off the same guy, he said they would be better off together (had to pay again) and one killed the other one within 3 weeks and the third one died within 5 weeks. I read all I could on how to care for them and what to and not to feed them.
Could these birds have been ill when I got them or could it be something I am doing? It's very distressing and don't want to chance another if it's possibly my fault?
We love all animals and the thought that I could have caused this is really worrying me.
MissK

Re: Ringnecks died

Post by MissK »

Hi. First let me say I am so sorry for the distress I know you're having. This is a very upsetting series of events and anyone would be worried over it.

It is, of course, not possible for any of us to really know, with the little information given and lack of seeing the birds, what happened. However, unless the birds did not eat or did not drink, or were kept in the wrong environment, I question that mistakes in care would have caused their death so quickly.

Sometimes when birds get a food they have not had before it takes them some time to figure out that it's really food. I don't think this is typically a Ringneck problem for long, but it could happen.

Sometimes a bird will play or bathe in their water and spill it all, and so run out of water sooner than expected. A bird could die from lack of water, probably faster than from lack of food.

It is also possible that a bird would be too frightened in the new home to eat or drink. If the bird never relaxed enough to take nourishment, it could die from hunger or thirst. I don't know how long that would take.

Food or water could be contaminated with poisons or germs, and that could cause a death or an alarming sickness.

There are some environmental factors that could kill a Ringneck. Of these, I am *guessing* that overheating or chilling would be most likely. Birds suffer if they move between extremes of temperature that would not bother them so much if they were able to acclimate to gradual change over time.

I think the most likely accidental cause of environmental danger is being left in the sunshine or heat without option for shade or a way to get cool. This would kill by overheating. Second to that would be a draft, especially a cold one, such as from the air conditioner. Birds cannot tolerate being in a cold draft. I would think you would notice the bird's discomfort before they died from heat or cold, but if you were not watching them, you could miss those signs.

Birds can also be frightened to death. It is possible that, especially if housed outside, another person, a pet, or a wild animal might pester the bird so much it died. My mother always told me such a death would be from a heart attack, but I don't know if that is really the cause. Negative stress is damaging to many animals, including us.

I am interested that you say one of the birds killed the other. While this is certainly quite possible, in light of the other deaths, I am wondering if an animal, like a rat, might have had access to your birds. That could certainly frighten a bird to death, and also could physically damage a bird. A raccoon could do that as well, though it would have to reach through cage bars to touch the bird. A snake could do the same, though I expect if a snake came in it would follow through and swallow the bird.

We do know that female Ringnecks, especially in breeding or nesting season, may kill either an unwelcome male or female that is in the same cage. I imagine you would have seen conflict, but possibly not, if that were the case. It would be quite remiss of a breeder/seller to not inform you of this possibility, especially if he urged you to buy two. If he told you to buy two and house them together, especially if he suspected them to be both female, and one killed the other, then I would lay the blame for that at his feet.

These are the only situations I can think of right now that would be so rapidly and mysteriously fatal for otherwise healthy birds. I would, if it were me, never buy from that breeder again, unless it were known I had made a mistake on my own causing those deaths. I had thought it was customary for sellers to include a health guarantee for at least a limited time, but it seems your seller did not. That is another reason to never buy from him again. Did you actually see your one bird kill the other, or fight?

I hope you can take some reassurance from my post, and if you did contribute to the deaths, then I hope you will learn better care and take comfort that it was accidental.
-MissK
Leely100

Post by Leely100 »

Hi Miss K, Thank you so much for your kind words. My birds were in the house so no danger from predators, I live in England and work from home.
The birds were eating a healthy balanced diet of Harrisons organic pellets and fresh fruit which included berries and apples (no seeds in any of them) the water was changed three times a day.
The breeder gave a 24 hour guarantee (I suppose alarm bells should have started ringing at that point) they plenty of space and various toys to play with. The birds were 4 months old. I didn't see the attack as it happened whilst we were sleeping, the dead one was on the bottom of the cage with it's eye gouged out so I'm assuming it was the other bird.
I have had a blue amazon in the past and he lived to a ripe old age as I inherited him from a relative.
Just wondering if I should go for one that's older (if I decide at all, think I may be scared that something will happen to it)

Thank you once again

Linda
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Linda,

Based on what you said it seems to me that you simply had the bad luck of buying birds that were already sick (with the exception of the one that got attacked).

If in future you want to buy another bird of whatever species and the breeder refuses or is reluctant to show you all his/her birds and cages (to check for hygiene etc) simply don't buy from that source. Most (99%+) breeders I know and encountered care a lot more about their birds' well-being than about their wallet and would gladly show you around.

Wessel
MissK

Post by MissK »

If they were eating and drinking then it stands to reason that they were unwell and died from that. Living indoors affords a lot of protection. I would like to point out, also, that many animals will attack weak or sick members of the group. If that's the case, then they would really have all died from sickness, even if indirectly.

I would suggest you ask the seller for some consideration, given they all died. You can describe the care you gave in detail and ask if he has ideas why they perished. If he has disease in his flock he should be made aware and given a chance to make things right. I would not, however, accept another bird from him. Even if it survived you could not be sure it wasn't carrying something that would then kill another bird you might acquire or even visit. If he does acknowledge and identify the disease in his flock, then it might help you decide if you should disinfect or destroy the cage and accessories. I would not bring another bird into the home until you have disinfected the premises to your vet's satisfaction.

If you do choose to try again I suggest you carefully determine if the stock is healthy, insist on a stronger health guarantee, and delicately find out if the aviary might have been cross contaminated by recent introduction of a new bird or trips to other facilities, even human visitors from other bird facilities. You might even consider selecting your new bird from one of the breeders who is part of our forum - I would trust them more than some more total stranger. You can post in the breeder section that you are looking for one of our members who is local to you. If I were looking to buy a baby bird, that is 100% what I would do.

You might also decide to try an older bird, possibly one who needs a new home. I almost hesitate to suggest a "Rescue" group, although the need is there and the cost will be low, because of the volume of birds from uncontrolled sources, each potentially carrying a disease to pass along. I bought my first Ringneck from the family of an owner who had died, and I did very well indeed with him.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

In our pet shop MissK we only gave two days guarantee, I am sorry if this post caused offence I was trying to be informative
Last edited by AJPeter on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Please excuse AJPeter's remarks; I think his prefrontal cortex is degrading.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sorry to hear about your birds.

When you get a new bird it is a very good idea to take it to an avian vet for a health check, they test for psittacosis (which we can catch) as well as do a physical and inspect the faeces for bacteria and parasites.
If it dies before the vet check a necropsy is a very good idea. If you still have the body I recommend you do that.

There are a few other household dangers for parrots too, air fresheners, flyspray, teflon pans, self cleaning ovens and other air pollutants can be deadly.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Very good to point out household air pollution, thank you. I didn't even think of that, since I evicted many such things from my house ages ago.

We'll have a tidy little collection of caveats when this thread is done!
-MissK