Help with transitioning/biting....

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

simonsays

Help with transitioning/biting....

Post by simonsays »

Hello All:

I recently lost my Green cheek conure - Solomon he was the best little bird. :D I had such a void
in my heart because of his passing. I wanted another bird (not to take Solomon place but fill
the void) So I did some research and decided on a Indian Ringneck. I found Simon through a breeder. Simon is 6 month old cobal blue in color - beautiful bird. It's only 5 days but he won't
let me or my husband touch him, he runs from us and bites us. (Ouch!!!) I wear gloves just so
I can clip his wings. He only tries to bite me if I touch him; otherwise he content to eat and play
with his toys. We talk to him daily, he yells at us in reply. Help, I don't know how or what to do.
I've had other birds GCC, Quakers none of them behaved like this. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.
MissK

Re: Help with transitioning/biting....

Post by MissK »

Hi. Sorry for the loss of your conure. I know what that pet-shaped hole is like.

Regarding your IRN, you've figured out when he is moved to bite, so you can easily stop doing that thing. In my opinion, you should put down those gloves and never take them up again. Well, maybe for yard work or changing a tire. If you didn't manage to clip him, please stop trying. The last thing he needs right now is to feel like a sitting duck. Also, please don't chase him. If he wanted to be that close he would come your way instead.

That's a bunch of don'ts. I'd be mean to leave you without a list of do's, so here are some:
DO drop a treat in his cup without asking him to be near you. Make it a great treat and do it all the time. InTheAir had great success with this and I'm sure everyone who has tried it conscientiously has been pleased.
DO respect your bird at all times.
DO be sure to eat some bird-acceptable food near the cage, though not so near as to upset Birdie.
DO spend time in his room ignoring him and being boring.
DO continue to speak to him, but back up.

DO search the forum for more. It's late and I'm going to bed. :wink:
-MissK
Wessel Gordon

Re: Help with transitioning/biting....

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I'll add only one ''do'' to MissK's list:

Do get to know your bird's moods...in my experience knowing at a glance when a bird feels cranky is the best way to avoid a bite.

What works in your favor is that he/she is still young and you only had him a short while so in theory it should be easier to modify unwanted behavior.

Birds can take quite a while to get used to a new environment and new people so the big key is patience and consistency.