New

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

jprocky

New

Post by jprocky »

Hey all! I'm glad to find a board that has a lot of helpful info, I'm new here like what the subject says, and I recently bought an IRN from a petstore, its been a little over 2 weeks and the bird still bites a lot, I fear that trying to tame it just makes it worse. I am following some advice ive read throughout the board here so hopefully some could help. If anyone has any pointers on what I should do, give, buy for him I would really appreciate it. this is his picture btw

from what the petstore owner told me, s/he is 4 1/2 months old, hes really hyper in the cage which is fun to watch.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi and welcome!!

Just hold off on the training until it settles in and gets use to the new enviorment. It will take some time so just be patient. Buy lots of chew toys!!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
jprocky

Post by jprocky »

yea I find that the chew toys are a must... s/he goes through them like theres no tomorrow hahaha
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and welcome to the flock! S/he is gorgeous! Just have a little patience as training/taming can take some time. Start sitting by the cage and talking to her/him. Also offer some treats. Once s/he is settled then you can start teaching step ups and try cuddles.. One step at a time. You'll get there. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Hi and welcome. I am new to IRN's but not new to birds. I assume your bird's wings are trimmed? That would be the first step in taming a bird. Next use a perch to get your bird to step up on and bring it close to you. Then you can talk to it and get it used to you. After a while you can get the bird off the perch and onto your finger. I think the most important thing is to have a very large door so once you get your bird on the perch or finger you can pull them out of the cage without them rushing back in. Also get your bird away from it's cage so it can hop back in to escape your training efforts. Also be prepared to get bitten a few times. You must not react to the bite. No matter how hard it is. If you scream or jerk away your bird will learn this is a way to control you. I have actually let a (normal) parakeet chew on my finger for hours until it tired and realized it wasn't getting it anwhere.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

welcome to the site the bird looks awsome.
thats what my 4 baby IRN are tarting to look like atthe moment.
im training one from being a baby and its working great for me all i do is hold him for 20 mins a day weather he bites me or not but he has stoped to bite me now ! patience is a virtue
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family :D some good advice already, as they say, time patience and persistence. Go through the search at the top of the forum and read up on past topics, issues or how to train, how to deal with biting, what to feed etc and always feel free to ask any question you may have :wink: Good Luck !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Welcome! What a beauty. We will look forward to more stories and pictures of your new baby.
MCS
jprocky

Post by jprocky »

Hi and thanks to everyone! I've taken a few pointers from the forums and it is starting to work =) I let him come towards me while I sit beside his cage and watch tv, and whenever I seem to leave the room, he yells out... I think he likes me being around the room :) also even though he still doesnt like going on my fingers/hand once he gets on my shoulder, he sits there forever and lets me kiss his wing/belly while blowing warm air he seems to like it.

about the biting, for my hands I dont mind as much but as for my ears, it still hurts but I just cover them with my hand hehe =)
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) You'll have him tame in no time!
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

dont let the biting look like it hurts for him thats what he is wanting just ignore it and it will soon get out of that stage and be your little buddy keep it up looks like he is getting better already ;)
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !