Hello

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Ohana

Hello

Post by Ohana »

Hello all, I just adopted a Normal Green IRN. I have not thought of a name that is fitting yet, but so far I have come up with Sesame and Cashew.

I have 4 years experience with birds. I have been owned by a Budgie, several breeder peachfaced lovebirds and currently owned and proudly ruled by a female Quaker Parrot, "Pistachio" and the new IRN.

I am the 4th home in 6 months for this little bird. She came to her "first" re-home after flying down out of the Texas sky and landing on a shoulder of a man. The wife wanted to keep the bird, but the husband didn't like the noise. They had her for approximately a month. The vet they took her to estimated her age to be around 6-8 months based on feathers and ring development. Also guessed her to be a female based on ring development. She was then transferred to a couple on the coast of North Carolina who were a "holding" place until they found her a forever home. She was with them for 4 months.

Then she came to me. She came to me in a cage that was 18x18x24 and shaped like a house (best suited for a budgie). It had cobwebs all over it, algae water dishes and I just pray this was just a transport cage. Her wings had been clipped starting at the 4th primary all the way straight back to the pit of her wing. Quite sad, she falls like a lead balloon. I had her groomed and a proper clip done on what was left.

She came to me free of charge and with the promise that if I didn't want her they would take her back. Well, they can't have her back. This poor sweet girl has been through too many homes to just be shuffled around some more.

She doesn't trust me fully, which is understandable. I will write more about what steps I am taking to gain her trust. She wants to trust but she just isn't sure. After only being with me for 5 days she is learning that I will take good care of her and I don't expect anything from her. She has my respect and her desired space. Ah, and bribery is my best friend right now! ;)

I am not new at this, and had researched and wanted an IRN for almost two years now. I didn't get one when I thought I wanted one because my little Quaker came along and I thought she needed a home, she is a rescue.

I am Carrie, I live in North Carolina USA.

Here is my IRN:

Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

What a cute baby, I am glad this bird now has a loving home. Thank you for taking on a beautiful new family member. Unfortunately there is no way to fully decipher ager and sex by looking and a DNA test may be a good idea for knowing if this is a young male or unknown aged female... congrats again and welcome to the board!
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family darlin,

God bless you for giving this beautiful baby a home. Sounds like you have a calm and patience about you, which will be perfect for an IRN.

I think it's so cute to stick to the nut theme with your fids. Chamon has a car theme with hers :wink:

Chamon is right. Unfortunately, if this is a female, you cannot tell at all through ring developement and it will be pretty much impossible to ever know her age. If it is a male a ring will eventually appear at this point you would then say he is around 2 - 3 years of age, but remember females too can carry a shadow which throws alot of people into thinking they have a male.

You have a quaker. I have a quaker pair and they are the most adorable cheeky playful birds, love them so much. Billy is my little clown love him, and Bell she finds great enjoyment in watching Billy act silly. lol

Anyway again Welcome and don't hesitate to ask anything.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Thank you for the welcome. This little girl (what I am going to call her until I get her DNA'd) does do a behavior I am not familiar with.

When my hubby wolf whistles or whistles in general at her she will crouch low, look at him wide eyed and then rub her beak on the perch she is sitting on. Now the first time he did this she pinned her eyes at him and lunged. I new that meant she didn't like it. But what does the other behavior mean?

If I do the same whistle at her, I get no reaction at all.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

That beahviour doesn't sound particularly male or female, if you are looking for typical male/female behaviours check out the vids in this link

http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2960

The vids at the bottom (i use to go by the name of angie) are my IRN males and the last vid is male and female together.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Welcome to you and your new baby!
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to the flock Carrie. So happy to hear she is now in loving care. Shes gorgeous! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Thanks for the videos those were neat. I was just wondering more along the lines of was her behavior more along the lines of she liked what he was doing or she didn't..... not necessarily mating.

I will try to get a video of how she reacts. What she does is My husband will whistle, then she will put her head low between her "shoulders" then she will rub her beak on whatever perch she is sitting on.

This morning he was talking to her and she turned her back to him and started rubbing her beak on the perch.

Just curious if this is behavior that she Likes him or not.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Does she run her beak along the perch? Or just wipe side to side?

When Jibby sees a plane, vacuum or really anything with a motor, he does a strange behaviour that I can't work out. He will bow he head, grind his beak, cluck once (a short loud squeek) and walk along his perch running his beak along it like a vacuum. Is this what your IRN does?

Wiping side to side can just be just cleaning the beak. It also feels good to them. :D I know my Jibby loves his beak rubbed when hes in a good mood!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Have you decided on a name yet???
-Chamon-

Ohana

Post by Ohana »

We have decided on a name, Mojito.

I just didn't know if it meant something when she did it in response to my husband whistling, she only rubs from side to side then looks back at him.

I suppose I will take it as she likes him.

She is coming along nicely, we just adore her and surprisingly I find my hubby trying to work with her also. I told him I was surprised and he said, well she has just had such a rough life, I think she needs to know that everyone in the house is her friend.
julie

Post by julie »

Hello and welcome to the board. my grey male who was inside for a while did what you say about the beak rubbing, I would talk to him and then he would bow his head down and rub his beak and then feed his girl.