Could my Applejack be a Girl???

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

coccinelle888

Could my Applejack be a Girl???

Post by coccinelle888 »

Hi All just an update that Jack is doing amazing and talking up a storm. He is now 1 year old!! He will now take food from my mouth and and comes up and nibbles my nose with his beak. I love him so much. I treated him to a nice new cage for his B day with lots of room to move around. His fav spot is still sitting on top of the cage. Someone on her suggested that he might be a she because the ring is not there. Do they not get the ring later around two years? does anyone have a pic of a IRN around a year old for me to see? I know I can do DNA but he has had enough trauma in his early life that I know want to scare him. Either way I love him boy or girl. Any photos will be good. BTW I see a faint darkness forming around his neck and eyes.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

its almost impossible to tell from pictures darlin. They can have a faint ring even if they are a female. If apple is only 1 I wouldn't worry too much about her/him being definately anything. If s/he was heading towards 3 I would start to assume that no ring will be coming.

you can watch for male or female behaviours that may begin to present even at a very young age.

see DNA is the only way thread - http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2960

In the vids, Jordan and Kai don't have their rings even starting yet. Kai became a breeder and a daddy and still didn't have his ring in at 2, he started not long after that. Jordan began his red ring at around 17 months.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) I don't think the DNA test is tramatising. If you use the feather. I bought my male a month ago as "most likely a male". He had a tiny black spot on the left side of his neck. The spot had grown and appeared on the other side of his neck. He is very clearly a male now.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

my male IRN didnt get his ring till he was 2 years old and they had 2 babies a few years back and they was both males and they didnt get there ring till they was 2 years old also so ithink u will have to wait another year to find out. unless u do the DNA test but if your not bothered its a boy or girl then save your money and buy somthing else with it. :D
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
coccinelle888

Post by coccinelle888 »

Thanks so much :o)

I will save my money and wait to see. He has been through such a hard time even taking a feather might make him digress a little. I was just curious when you started to see the rings in yours. I love him just the same and he talks up a storm and is such a fast learner!!
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

no problem glad i could help i dont know alot about ringnecks but the ring comes on the neck when the male reach's a full blown on adult ( thats what i have read ) so its around 2 years when my males have.

if he / seams happy then thats good and IRN are fast and good learners as what i have read on this forums also
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !