Finally I'm here!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

taliets

Finally I'm here!

Post by taliets »

Hello. I've finally got my password and would like to say hello to all fellow ringneck owners. I have two ringnecks: Dakota and Sahara. Dakota have just recently been exchanged for a new blue baby ringneck as Dakota was very wild and we found a new owner for her where she could be with a mate with a bigger cage so think that will suit her better. Sahara is a baby yellow/green ringneck and I'm busy tameing her at the moment so any advice would be greatly appreciated! She does go on my finger but it takes some persuation as she doesn't come to my finger when I put my hand in the cage. She tries to get away from my finger at first. Then when I take her out of the cage, she tries to fly back to the cage. She doesn't seem to like staying on my shoulder. Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks. Talitha
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

welcome to you and your babies, it takes time and patients, maybe hold you hand in the cage for a while without trying to get your baby out and see what happens she might want to explore your hand a bit better, most birds dont like hands to start of with.

Good luck
Adam and Dude
Donna

Post by Donna »

Welcome to the board!!

How old is your baby? Was it handfed and raised? The reason I ask these questions is there is different ways of taming a baby that's been raised in an aviary with it's parents then a baby that has been hand fed and socialized by humans. A young bird that has been handraised by humans is usaually not fearful of hands and they are much easier to train. A bird should not be allowed to be on your shoulder until trust issues are delt with and you have learned to read it's body language.

Congrats on your baby! :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Welcome to the flock. Looking forward to getting to know you and your birds.

Have you tried taking Sahara to another room away from the cage to teach step ups?

Congradulations and Goodluck. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
taliets

Thanks!

Post by taliets »

thanks guys for the welcome. things are going better now and the new baby is also getting bigger. think Sahara is going through the bluffing fase.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family darlin. can't wait to get to know you and your fids, and see pics :wink:

When you are interacting with your baby, always make sure you use voice commands eg. "Step Up !" this will warn him/her of your intentions and eventually s/he will learn what all your actions are and not to be scared of them.

Any particular questions ask away, there is so much to taming and interacting with these babies we couldn't begin to know where to start, we love to share and to learn from your experiences also :D

Cheers!
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8)
when you get your bird out of the cage, walk away from it so your bird can't go back into it. Take it into another room.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

welcome to the site !
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !