Hello, I am new to IRNs and IRN.com

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

amurphy1991

Hello, I am new to IRNs and IRN.com

Post by amurphy1991 »

Hello, I just bought an IRN who is a little over a year and was not handfed. I knew this before purchasing and after reading that IRN's who have not been handfed could still make great pets, I went ahead and purchased him. He is a green IRN and his name is Emerald. He is the first IRN I have owned. I have raised cockatiels and lovebirds in the past and love birds. I have had him for about two weeks today. The first few days he was home I gave him his space. I was worried about stressing him out being in a new home. Several days after he was home, I clipped his wings which he wasn't happy about but he has adjusted just fine. The question I have is about taming him. I sit in front of his cage and talk to him and he goes about his business, but I know he is keeping an eye on my. I didn't know it until I read the article about bluffing on this website, but he is going through this stage. When I go to take him out of his cage he tries desperately to get away. The past couple days I have opened the cage door to wait for him to come out. Once he is out he will get on my hand reluctantly. The first couple times we did this he would not stay on my hand very long. But now he will stay for quite a while while we watch a movie. He usually hops from my hand to my leg. We usually have our training sessions in the evening. After he is sitting on my hand a while he will curl up a foot and tuck it in his feathers. I am hoping this is a sign that he is comfortable on me. I give him fruits while we "train" which he enjoys eating.

I apologize for the length, but I just want to make sure I am on the right track or if I am doing anything wrong. From everything I have read so far it sounds like, if done right, I will be able to pet him and scratch him behind his head like I used to do with my cockatiels. Thank you so much.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Yes you are on the right track keep up the good work!! Tucking his foot up under him means he's healthy happy and content. We want pic's please. :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

hello and welcome hope you enjoy your new boy as much as we all love our fids, you sound like your on the right track they like tucking away when they are happy with where they are.
Adam and Dude
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome! Sounds like your new baby is settling in well!
MCS
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Hello, and welcome! :D
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to our flock!

Sounds like your doing a great job with your new baby. Yep, he is relaxed, happy or maybe sleepy when a foot is tucked under. Sounds like Emerald has settled in just fine.

Cant wait to see pics of the lil guy!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family !! good to have you here and hear that you are getting to know your new bundle of joy. Any questions just ask away, we love to give advice and also to learn from your experiences.

Can't wait to see pics too :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hi and welcome to IRN.com.

It sounds like the new bub is settling in great! Keep us updated on how the cutie is doing...and pics are always welcome :wink:

Dani
amurphy1991

Post by amurphy1991 »

Thank y'all so much for your responses. I am feeling alot better. I knew it will take time for him to come to trust me as well as get through his bluffing. I have read two different thoughts on bluffing. One was to tell him "no" and give him "the evil eye" when he bites and the other was to ignore it when he bites. I have tried ignoring the bites but sometimes I just can't because he ends up pinching. Other times while he is sitting on my hand I watch him and I can tell most of the times he is about to bite when he puffs up his head feathers and his eyes get small and beady. When I see this I have started saying "Emerald, no" in a calm but firm voice. This seems to stop him for the time being. I am not sure what to do at this time. I know it is a phase he goes through but telling him no seems to keep him from biting.

Also, if I have done it right I went to photobuckt and have uploaded a few pictures.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/ ... G_0936.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/ ... G_0890.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/ ... G_0903.jpg
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Your bird is very pretty!

Dani
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

so cute !