Hi everyone

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Newbirdmom

Hi everyone

Post by Newbirdmom »

I know I been gone a long time I just did not have the money to keep my internet on so now I have it and I am back. I do want to say we never did find Maya and I still miss him so much. I do have Oscar and he is a cute bird but he hates me. At leat I think he does. I can not let him out of his cage or he will bite me. He left a few marks on me and boy do they hurt. I do think Oscar is a boy he is a year now and talk so good. He also does that dance with his toys it is cute. We also have 2 boy keets and they are sweet sometimes they get louder then Oscar. When I got Oscar he feathers where all broken and nasty he also had no tail and it is slowly growing in. Here are some pics of all the babies.

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Aww they are lovely ! .. Welcome home darlin .. Glad to have you back. Sorry that you didn't find Maya .. Hope you find time and a way to work with Oscar to tame him down to more of a pet. There are some good suggestions on other post here if you do a search for key words like, taming, training, help etc. :wink:

Cheers !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Adorable! :wink: Welcome back. Sorry to hear about your loss. I too hope you find ways to work with Oscar and gain his trust. Don't give up. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

I don't give up on him. I talk to him every day and just stand buy his cage. I can even kiss his feet and he not yell at me. I just can't pet him. He also will come out of the cage on his own just I have to use a something to get him or he will bite me. I tried the other day to get him with my hands and he bit my finger and boy does that hurt. He was with his brother/sister when I got him maybe I should get him a friend and that will make him happy. I don't know. Oh I also try to give him treats but once her sees my hands he drops to the bottom of the cage yelling. Then I just put the treat in his dish and he eats it. Every time we eat he is looking for his it is so cute. I just might get a baby one of thease days or something.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Oscar is only young and is probably going through bluffing. He doesn't hate you, he is just testing you.

When you go to step him up, be rather dominant with your approach, use a strong command in your voice, and push past his bite, to force him to step up.

(note: if he is scared of your hands you need to find a way to take that fear away. Maybe making your hands into a fist so they are not so scary ?) But then again, time will show him that your hands won't hurt him. So persist. It could take many months of persistence.

It's a very hard thing to do, as most people don't want to scare them or be bitten, but you have to show him who is the boss, and if he bites you, don't show him it hurt, do not back away and not try again as he will have gotten his way and will keep doing it.

Also, if he does step onto a stick, take him away from his cage and try stepping him up in a different area, alot of IRN are very protective of their cage, especially if they are in sleepy dreamy mode (having a nap or on dusk ready for bed).

Remember IRN's have moods, sometimes good, sometimes not. They all have their off days and bad times.

Our Jordan is the tamest thing I have ever seen in a ringneck, we can cuddle him, hold him, pick him up by his body if need be, I can hold him in my hands and kiss him all over, but he even gets snappy when he is resting in his cage. I don't let him get it over me, i force him to step up as I don't want him to have any area that I cannot retrieve him from if necessary. Some say that they need their cage as a safe haven, retreat, but I don't believe this. They know I love them and they know I am boss. :wink:

Good Luck !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

conurelover2007

Post by conurelover2007 »

Good points made on taming a ringneck. I am sure Oscar will come around. He is beautiful.