PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! New IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

5shaggys

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! New IRN

Post by 5shaggys »

Hi everyone, my name is sharon and i am the PROUDEST owner of a beautiful blue rn. He is 6months old. I have sat at his cage, talked to him i feed him treats, and have no problem putting the treats on top of my flat hand and he will come and take them from me. My problem is im unsure how to get him to sit or come on my hand. I havent attempted to pat him or force him, iv just tried to let him get use to me. Can anyone PLEASE help me? what should my next step be? He hates the stick, iv tried to get him to sep up, but he just freaks out. I just want to pat him and have him sit on my hand. but at the same time i dont want to do any damage with all our hard work.

PS: THIS IS THE BEST SITE, YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaz
Donna

Post by Donna »

Shaz Welcome to the board!! If you just reach in and put your hand under his chest and give a little push then he may step up on your hand. You want to teach him this by saying step up every time you do this. Once on your hand try doing what I call the ladder technique from hand to hand and using the step up comand. You may get a nip or two while doing this so don't take it personal and don't react by yelling ouch. They love drama and if he can get that kind of reaction when he bites then you have created a behavior problem. Six months old is a good age to start good training. Good luck hope this helps you out.

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome to the flock! We'd love to see photos of your fid.
MCS
5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

Thank you soo much for the advise. Everytime i put my bare hand palm down in front of him he runs away. But if there is a treat on it he will come and get it no worries. Im scared to put my hand straight there as you suggested cos i know if he bites its gonna hurt like hell. But im gonna give it a go. Heres a pic of my Cheeky. ok i cant work out how to attatch my picture :cry:
Shaz
Donna

Post by Donna »

Try not to pull away if he does bite. The more fear you show him the more dominate he's going to be. Being bitten is just one of the perks of owning a parrot :D

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

Thank you Donna, i really appreciate you writting back to me, im going to give it a try now. Do i still approach him if he runs away? Or do i wait for him to come to me?

Also i cant work out how to get my picture up.
Shaz
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to the flock. :wink:

Donna is right, do not react when biten. Maybe also try holding you hand in the cage for a short time each day so he gets used to your hand and trusts it wont hurt him.

There is a 'sticky' in the photo section. Or register at http://www.photobucket.com (I find it the easiest to use)
Then upload your pics onto your account there. Copy and paste the IMG code into your post.

Look forward to seeing your baby soon!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

The best way to train him the step up is to take him away from his cage into another room. Is his wings clipped? This will make it much easier to train if he is clipped. That way he depends on you to get him where he wants to go. Put him on a t-stand if you have one. Take one hand and put it behind him while your other hand is out for him to step up. If he is running from you be persistent. Your training sessions should only be 10 minutes 4 times a day. The step up command is the first and the most important to get the bird to do, without that you will have a very indepenent bullheaded bird. He's still a baby and with time and lots of patients it will work.
For photo's there is a sticky posted in the photo forum on how to post images.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Good advice Donna. :wink:
Donna

Post by Donna »

We must of been posting at the same time. I didn't mean to repeat your photo instructions.

Always my pleasure to help someone!!

Donna :D
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

Thanks again Donna, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaz
5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

This is Cheeky
Shaz
DianneFutureRN

Post by DianneFutureRN »

Cheeky is beautiful! I am still working with my bird too. I would love to pet his head and stroke his feathers after he is on my finger but everytime I get my other hand close he starts to flap his wings and wants to get away. I am just going to give it time. After all we are just getting to know each other and he doesn't trust me fully yet.
Good luck with your new bird! This is an excellent website for information and everyone is so kind.
Welcome to the group!
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Cheeky is adorable!
MCS
5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

Thank you i love him to bits. I tried to get him to step up on my hand but he just ran away, then he flew off his cage. i sat on the floor for ages and he finally came and climbed on my leg. to get him back on his cage i was chaseing him around i thought he was gonna die of a heart attack in the end. I then put a towel over him to get him back up. Im just unsure how to transfer him to another room he just freaks out. im sorry to be a pest but i dont know what to do. I wanted to try what donna suggested with the step up, but i cant get near him to take him anywhere.

PS. Donna thank you for all your advise, you reallly are THE BEST
Shaz
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Good advice donna.

sure sounds like he loves those treats. I suggest to sit for periods of times right next to his cage. Then instead of offering him the treats to him, hold them a distance away and make your finger the step to the treats, if he steps across for a treat, let him have only one. Then repeat the process next time saying step up. (does that make sense) and soon enough he will start to know stepping onto your finger is a good thing :) It worked with my Kai
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

Hi kyria, thank you soo much. Yes it doest make perfect sense. i will give it a go and let you know how i go. And may i say how georgous your Kai is. i must say i got disheartened when i put my hand out and he just keeps running away. i was really at a loss as what to do.

thank you heaps again
Shaz
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

NP Shaz, oh ! and how rude of me, Welcome to the family :wink:

.. what part of Australia if you don't mind me asking. I am South Gippsland Victoria :) Gooo.. Aussies !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

hey there, thank you for the warm welcome.
Im in Costumes, i get to dress up in a tiger suit and get my photo taken with adults and kids. Its awsome. Im also hopeing to get into Birds. that would be even better.

Heres a pic of what i do.

Shaz
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

How cute do you look !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Hehe. That sounds like the ultimate job! Imagine walking up to your birds in a birdy suit! :lol: They'd probebly freak out!
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

DianneFutureRN I got mine use to human hands around their head by placing them on my knee, then placing treats on the palm of one hand and placing my other hand in front of the palm with the treats, making an arch that they had to stick their heads into to get a treat, after a little patience they couldn't resist and went on in for a treat, we kept this up until we could move a finger and touch their head while they did this. After a while scritches were just fine. But they still have their moods where they don't want to be touched, as they all do.

Scritching and petting them is always better when they are taking kips during the day. Slowly and gently using just one finger and making sure your hand is tightly closed so you are not surrounding their heads making them feel in danger, use that finger to gently move the feathers backwards against the way they grow (so from back to beak). Ever so gently, eventually they begin to like it and realise you aren't up to anything :wink:

These are just my experiences with my fids, every fid is different.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

5shaggys

Post by 5shaggys »

Thank you so much. I will give it a go. :D
Shaz