Hi everyone. just a new bird owner looking for advice......

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Milamber3790

Hi everyone. just a new bird owner looking for advice......

Post by Milamber3790 »

hi everyone
my name's harper (yer unusual i no, had no choice, got it at birth) and i have a lutino indian ringneck called Jaws. hes was born sumtime around july last yr and we got him around november or sumfin... hes still doing that "bluffing" stage... but he only eva bites me wen hes tierd or grumpy, and then i just chuk him in his cage until he cools off. otherwise his name is prity undeserved.
only a few days after he came to the house, he started all that bonding sht and wudnt let any1 near me xept him... he hates my mum but thats ok cos she hates him too... its kinda like a mutual agreement not to go near each otha. he roams around my house and tries to kill the dog wen it gets to close to me. and they have these big brawls over the tenis balls that Jaws has taken a liking to...
he dosnt show any signs of wanting to talk but he mite just surprise me oneday... he chirps real loud wen no1 is paying him any atension or hes the only1 in the room. and he likes to sing(screech) when there is music playing.
otherwise he dusnt show any partucular talent that would turn him into the bird of the year. but hes the best parrot in the world in my eyes.
the only other bird iv ever realy had was a budgie wen i was young... he used to live in a cage in the garden. somehow at nite he used to go walkabout and in the morning we would find him siting next to his cage cos he couldnt get bak in...
one morning he didnt come bak... it was only recently that mum told me that he didnt get lost. on of her friends actualy sat on ma budgie... i feel like puking every time i think about it...
iv had prity bad xperienwith birds. my sister bought me 2 luvbirds wen i was like 7 and they flew through the bars of the cage. by the time i got home i could only catch a glimpse of them siting on the powerlines... :cry:
wat i wanted to no is if it is posible to let a ringneck's wings grow bak and let him fly free a bit? i meen he likes to hang outside and talk to the rainbow lorikeets so iff i stoped cliping him then wouldnt he have to stay indoors for eva? that would be kinda like prison 4 a bird, but then again would having his wings cliped be a bit like prison? im not sure wat to do... i think that if he just flew off it would break sumfin inside ov me... dont think i would ever look at a bird again...

God iv been typing for a wile...
cyas
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Hi and Welcome,

Wing clipping is a very personal decision, there are pros and cons to either situation and no matter what you choose you will be right as long as it suits your lifestyle.

I personally choose to clip, my belief behind it is that it allows my birds more freedom, they are free to come outside with me and play in the grass, the trees, come to the park and family gatherings etc..

If you decide to let him gain flight beware that he may become naughty and disobedient with his newfound freedom and you will need to be extra cautious of doors, windows, dangerous items left around (well moreso than a clipped bird) stove elements and fire... the list is HUGE but in return you get to allow the beauty of free flight and that is really something..

There are lots of posts about this so take advantage of the info on this site, use the search key and type in key words.

The best advice I can give you is if you are not sure if you can guarantee no doors or windows or dangers will endanger Jaws, keep him clipped. :wink:
-Chamon-

Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

thx a bunch! i think il have a bit of a look around and stuff b4 i think about letin his wings grow...
i went to a farm once and there was these two eclectus parrots who lived there... they used to fly off every morning and come bak at nite... and wile you were walking in the rainforest, you could hear them talking to you!
hey has any1 had any experience with bird leashes? iv herd about them and dont no wat to think
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

Ohh and also i think iv seen a few fotos of IRNs with only 1 wing clipped. my eyes could just be playing triks on me but wats that about? wudnt the bird fly in circles or sumfin?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Harper,

Welcome to this forum and we can’t wait to read about your ringneck.

Don’t stress about his wings being clipped. Most parrots who get their wings clipped adapt fine. Keeping your Indian ringneck’s wings clipped will make him much more dependent on you and therefore strengthen its bond towards you. Though my Archimedes was handfed, he can become a little turkey when his wings grow out—he becomes so much more independent. I’ll go and get him but he loves to play “get the birdy.” I find I enjoy him much more with his wings clipped.

Clipping a bird’s wings is not good nor is it bad. It really depends on the bird, the person, and how safe the environment is. You have to be the one to decide what feels right. Also, as you said, if your ringneck flew away you would feel awful—I think you know the answer to that question. :wink:

I am sorry to hear about your budgie. As a child, I too did have many budgies. They make such wonderful pets and they are such cool birds. I really enjoy budgies. I am only sorry to hear someone sat on yours.

Hope this helps and again, welcome to this forum. There are many wonderful members here who have lots to offer! :wink:

Welcome aboard :)

Imran Chaudhry
Milamber3790

Post by Milamber3790 »

thx for the reply!
r u the same prsn whith the IRN Archimedes thats on that site... frgt the name of the site... anyway its all about IRNs and stuff, feeding them, bluffing, chiks 4 sale, etc. if so i thought the site was a great load of help with Jaws!
i got Jaws for like 240 australian dolars. iv noticed that in america the price for a ringneck is like 500 american$ thats shumungus!!! anyway thx for the help!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

yup, that would be me :wink:

best wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Hiya :D welcome to the family.

If you have a pet bird its already not wild anymore, so clipping or not clipping is up to you.

I begin all mine clipped to tame and train and then depending on the bird and the situation at the time I decide to either allow flight for a short while before clipping again (as with my kai) or as in Jordans case, I have left him fully flighted for a while now. I enjoy him coming to me when I call him, and him having his freedom around the house.

I am in the process of teaching him recall during flight and he is doing marvelously at it. He loves it !!! like a game for him.

But as Chamon says, with full flight there is a lot to take care about, its like a kid that can now reach the high shelves, you have to be extra careful ,and even so they can get themselves into real trouble very quickly. So if you have the time to be extra attentative, then full flight can be the go.

There will probably come the day when we may have to clip Jordan again though.

Anyway I am sure you will find your groove with your fid. :)

Would love to see pics :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to our flock. We love pics, please show us your baby! :wink: Not to sound pushy. :lol: Hope you learn alot from us all here.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year