Been lurking for a bit, but still new

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Hestia

Been lurking for a bit, but still new

Post by Hestia »

Hello everyone, just wanted to actually come forth and say hello. I am really enjoying this website. You are all so nice and always have the kindest words of advice to give. That is much appreciated when someone is looking for help or info.
There is another IRN forum but I have not been too happy with them, seems every time someone comes out and asks for help they just get yelled at, and judged. So needless to say I am so very thankful that I have found this site with nice people and helpful answers.

I own a blue IRN, named Indie, will be turning 8 months old in the next week. I have needed some real answers and support because I have been experiencing the bluffing stage on and off. Wasn't sure what to make of it at first or what to do until I found you guys. I have pictures of my little baby posted on my website if anyone is interested.
http://aquiltingwewillsew.com/page0/page0.html
thank you all so much I look forward to reading posts everyday!
cheers!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Aw, thanks for the kind comments! We do have a great bush here, huh? LoL!!! :wink: :oops:

Anyway, your ringneck is beautiful. I really enjoy blue Ringnecks and one day, once my time permits, I might add a blue ringneck to my collection.

I know bluffing can be a difficult stage and it can be a bit disheartening. It is hard for us humans to understand why a ringneck must go through this phases. Unfortunately, it’s part of their developmental stage and it is a part of their life. It’s just nature’s way of helping them become independent—no more mommy ringneck snuggling and feeding them. The good news is, once your ringneck outgrows this phase he will come around and be a sweet little pet again. Believe me, I have seen some monsters pass through my doors and later find out they became the sweetest Ringnecks.

To update you here is an article on the subject:
http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

Just remember to never loose your patience and always ignore the attacks. No yelling for discipline it’s the wrong approach.

Welcome to this forum and we hope to hear many stories about your ringneck.

Hope this helps and please keep us updated on Indie. :wink:

Best wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Shikoba's Mommy

Post by Shikoba's Mommy »

Your ringneck is beautiful !!!! I was lucky enough to get mine after she went through the bluffing stage. As with any bird, you must not fuel the fire by making a big deal out of their biting or it will continue. This site is great for us new IRN owners.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome Hestia. Your Indie is a stunner. :wink:

There is also some good info if you search bluffing. But Im sure you already know that. :wink: Remember Patience and Persistance.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome!
MCS
Hestia

thank you... and a question

Post by Hestia »

Thank you all so much. My Indie is quite the little bugger sometimes, but also a sweetheart.
Just some back ground info, if anyone is interested. I purchased Indie from a breeder at the age of 4 months. He had been handfeed, but didn't have much hands on after weaned. As the breeder has lots of other birds. A couple of people were interesting in purchasing Indie in he was younger, but never followed through, so thats when I came into play.
So long story short, its been a long process of both patience and persistance with him/her. But good news is everyday Indie improves and gets better about being loved.
Indie was not abused, but just a little hand shy and of course did NOT want to be pet in any way. But now lets me pet him, and is starting to let me pet him/her on the head. :D Indie is so loved and so spoiled, and I think s/he knows it.
But yes I am still endearing the bluffing stage. at first it was getting adjusted to the new home, now its hormones...whats next?
But truthfully, Indie is such a joy and makes me laugh all the time, cause of his cute little (HUGE) personality. He is going on 8 months soon, and is already trying to talk. S/he mummbles a lot, but every once in a while I hear a "what are you doing?" come out of him. I can not wait until he talks more, but then I also know when that happens he probably won't quit. :lol:
I think the hardest stage of the bluffing was just a couple of weeks ago, when Indie was going through a "hard" molt. Very cranky and nippy and mean.
I do have a question though...if anyone can help? Indie manly lunges and bites when I try to have him step up when he is out of his cage playing. Is this still bluffing, or is there something more going on here? Now mind you I don't have anyway right now to take the playpen (play area) away from the cage area, he plays on top of his cage and beside his cage is the playpen. could this be the issue, territorial maybe?
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

Hello and welcome to you both. Great pictures too :)
~the stubborn one~
FGM

Post by FGM »

Indie is so cute!!!!!!!!
It has taken over two years for my Jangles to get the start of black feathers,its very exciting when it happens.Jangles always had the shade of a ring like your Indie.