HI I'm New

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Pringle Bird

HI I'm New

Post by Pringle Bird »

Hi,

I have an Indian Ringneck and she is a terrible biter. ( female sky blue)

She hasnt been out of her cage for about a year because she has become so wild. Can anyone give me any hints on winning back her love.

THanks
lady-lord-be

Post by lady-lord-be »

hey welcome ! :D
i'd say first of all is to clip her wings(get a vet to do it if you dont know how) try and feed her treats from your hand. is she scared of your hand or does she just bite it? if you can get her eating treats from your hand then thats a start. they will do anything for food they love.
when her wings are clipped you can open the cage door and let her come out at her own will. talk to her softly when around the cage. put her in a room where you are most so she can get used to you.

someone else will be able to help you out a bit more.

pics would be great! :!: :!:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Welcome to the board hun... type in 'bite' in the search engine above. It is right about your message icon. :wink:

THOUSANDS of recent threads will come up.
~ Mikaela Sky

~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

hi and welcome. I'm sure you'll get good information from the threads. :)
~the stubborn one~
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to the flock!

Yep, clip her wings and offer treats and praise when good. Ignore the bite. Making a fuss only makes it worse. You'll probebly have to go back to basic 'step up' training first.
Best option search through posts here. Tones of information goodness. Goodluck with your girl. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Pringle Bird

Post by Pringle Bird »

Hi Again

She will eat out of my hand just fine but she dosnt let me do anything else.

I cant clip her wings because we are getting her a mate, the people that we are getting her off said to not cut her wings becuse she needs to be able to get away from the male.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Think she may just need a lot of time and patience. I am lucky that my IRN is very gentle, because I honestly don't spend enough time home to train her if she was not. Good news is that you have landed with a flock of folks who have been there, done that, and have the scars & happy birds to prove it. Hang in there!
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Paired/breeding IRNs are not usually tame. Its true, not recommended to clip breeders wings. They need to get away from an angry hormonal mate. Companion birds can be clipped.
So you want a tame companion or a untame breeding pair? Sorry about the confusion.
Pringle Bird

Post by Pringle Bird »

Well i'm not sure,

Can I have a pair and have one that is tame. Or should I just leave her. We are thinking of breeding her so should that be another reason why I shouldnt tame her. If that is the case then can she still be tamed so I can take her out to clean the cadge or should I leave her.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

You can still try if you want starting with step ups, you can have 2 tame IRNs, alot of us do and some even more. But if your thinking of breeding her, taming is usually a waste of time. As soon as shes bonded or paired with a male and starts have babies she will be a breeding bird and can be aggressive. Search in the 'Breeding IRNs' section. You can find more information there. I dont know much more than this. Sorry.

Maybe having an extra smaller cage handy for when you clean the cage. If she does not want to be picked up. Try puting a towel over her then put her in a smaller cage while you clean.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

*nods in agreement*

Either breeders or pets, usually.
~ Mikaela Sky

Pringle Bird

Post by Pringle Bird »

Thanks guys soo much for all of your help.