NEW TO THIS SITE NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

TRUE_LADY

NEW TO THIS SITE NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP!

Post by TRUE_LADY »

Hello my name is Elsa and my fiance and I just got our IRN December of this past year. This is my first time having a bird. My problem is that the scales from his feet are peeling. Im not sure if they are peeling or if he is doing it himself. He tends to bites his nails a whole lot and spends a lot of time preening. I think I am feeding him correctly, but maybe Im not?Currently he is eating millet, parakeet mix, and fresh fruit like apples, bananas, berries, kiwi, etc...

I really like having him around, but I find he does this certain call when I walk out of the room or Im out of sight, but then when I give him attention he ignores me. He is very territorial with his cage and will bite if I come near it. Funny things is, he only does it to me. He doesnt mind my fiance grabbing him even if he is in his cage. He even gives him kisses and the only thing I get is a bite. He doesnt really "talk" to my fiance. He "talks" with me so I guess he at least tolerates me. He doesnt talk yet, but he tries to when he is alone. I guess I want some advise on how to get him confortable enough with us to talk. I know he can do it! I dont know where he heard it, but he does quack like a duck and it is very clear so i know he is capable!!! Any tips or ideas???? :P
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi Elsa, Welcome to the flock. How old is your IRN?
Sounds like your feeding him right. Have you taken him to an avain vet? This is a good thing to do when you first bring your new bird home.

He's probebly calling for you to come back. My Gilbert does this to me everytime he notices I 'ducked out' for a second. I guess he just likes me around where he can see me. I am trying to ignore it because the 'calling' can get annoying but he just comes looking for me then! :roll:
You'll be sure to get a few bites from your new companion. Its all part of being owned by a bird! :roll: But dont make a fuss out of it when he does. Just walk away and ignore. They hate not getting a reaction.

Some birds are territorial with 'their' things. His cage is his 'safe' place. His home. :wink: Does he step up? This is the first thing they need to learn. Makes training and taming easier and when hes out of the cage you can quickly get him back in there if needed.

I love it when they are just starting to get words out! Squeaks and mumbles! :wink: Just keep talking softly to him everyday and praise him or offer a treat when he does say something. Praise and treat a good birdy, ignore a bad birdy.

I suggest searching through posts here for good information.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
lady-lord-be

Post by lady-lord-be »

hey Elsa welcome :D
pics pics pics!?
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

welcome to the flock! my peanut is goona be a year old in 8 days and he's been trying to talk like nobody's business! i heard him try to mumble "where's the mama?" lol. it was so funny! but do feed your little one some veggies too! very nutricious. there is a form posted under DIET and HOUSING that will tell u what they can/ cant eat. post pics soon!
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome
MCS