Do I Dont I?

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Occy

Do I Dont I?

Post by Occy »

Hi all

Im looking at getting a bird - I havent had one for a few years but over the years I have had budgies, cockatiels, love birds and a cockatoo.

I was looking at getting an Indian Ringneck but Im not sure if they would be the right bird for me -0 or if i would be the right owner for them.

I will get a cage etc that is suitable to whatever bird I get - probably oversizes and it will be housed in my loungeroom but will have wheels so i can take it outside (in addition the property im renting has a disused aviary in the backyard)

I have two dogs and several fish and though my dogs will chase birds in the park they know how to behave around pet birds and I am sensible in my associations between the species!

I will be working full time - that means Im out of the house 6-8 hours a day - more on certain days as Im a teacher but i am home most evenings - a real homebody - and most weekends.

Im looking for a companion bird - a bird that wants attention but not all of my attention all of the time. Im also looking for a trainable bird - I was a dog trainer for many years but I would like to give bird clicker training a go. I would like my bird to have the ability to learn to talk but thats a bonus really.

are IRN the right beasty for me?

And if they are, are there any good breeders in Melbourne, Australia?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

If you want an active, 2 yr old that never grows up, the ringneck is for you!

Because of ringnecks personalities and owners personalities, I cant tell you if an IRN will work for you. So, I'll tell you what I know so you can decide.

We all work a lot, they do fine alone as long as we make up for it while we are home.

A ringneck is NOTHING like any other bird you have owned before. They can be very challenging. They can be very aggressive and you will be biten often. Part of owning a ringneck.

All that said, if youre up to it... they are the coolest birds in the world... once you understand them! :wink:

I would rather be honest about ringneck qualities than to have a bird purchased and have to be replaced to another home.

Not everyone is cut out to own a ringneck. They love you good, then break your heart but we come back for more so they obviously have something very special about them.
~ Mikaela Sky

Occy

Post by Occy »

I do german shepherd rescue - I know what its like to deal with an adult sized animal with the mindset of a 3 month old :p so being nipped doesnt particularly worry me - you get over that - or you wear gloves.

Anyway - you havent been bitten til youve been bitten by a sulphur crested cocky (though you'd had to ask dad really - that bird HATED him with a passion)

Nothing youve said has really turned me off the idea of getting an IRN- i guess ill need to see the birds face to beak :p - perhaps catch up with a couple of local breeders if anyone knows any...

thanks
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Gloves? :lol:

Uhm, no... thats not going to work with an IRN. :lol:

They will hate and distrust you for life. It takes very little to make them freak out and turn from you. Gloves are a certain way to ensure that happens.
Last edited by Mikaela on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you've handled birds before and you'll do fine with a IRN. As Mik said though they can be challenging at times. They dont require as much attention than other birds but still need to be handled everyday. They 'can' get aggressive around mating season as alot of birds do. But the love of a IRN is priceless.

Overall, they truely are a special species of bird and you'll do fine.

I am in South East Melbourne! In November I picked up my baby Yoda from a breeder down on the peninsula. I only found this breeder by chance looking though the trading post. But Im so glad I did. Yoda is one lil cutie with an attitude! I dont know if hes got any IRNs left. I know a friend went there and got my baby Yoda's older sibling!

I also looked on

http://www.petlink.com.au/Birds/Advertising_Board/

Dont know if there is many around Melbourne posted on here. Its worth a try though.

Its great your researching this species before you purchase your new baby.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Search our member list... a lot of folks from your area. PM them asking if they know of breeders.
~ Mikaela Sky

Occy

Post by Occy »

Im still looking for a decent breeder - I dont want to end up at the Aus Bird Co - they catch native wild birds and resell them which I personally find abhorent

I just won this on ebay

It's

Dimensions: (L)80 cm x (W)57 cm x (H)160 cm

Bar Spacing: no wider than 2.5cm

which I assume will be plenty of room for an IRN?

I want to find someone who DNA tests the birds too - how much more expensive will that be?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

The cage looks great! I was looking at that same cage on ebay! But have settled on this one with a detachable play gym. I'd love a bigger one but I dont have the room for one in this tiny unit. It'll do for now. And since my birds are always out of the cages during the day, Gilbert will only be sleeping in it or ontop of it. Yoda get hand me downs from Gilbert. (Gilberts is the same size without a playgym). I'm temped to get a big cage and remove some furniture though! :wink:

Overall Cage Dimensions: 600mm (L) x 550mm (D) x 1950mm (H)
Cage Dimensions (internal space): 600mm (L) x 550mm (D) x 100mm(H)
Bar Spacing: 16mm

I found a DNA testing place here in Melbourne. Ive decided not to DNA test because I think its worth the wait.

Here is the link to the DNA site. They are reasonably priced too.

http://www.dnanow.com/ausbirdindex.htm

Goodluck with Breeder hunting. Hope you find the right one soon.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Chickie I love that cage, nearly bought one from that eBayer.
Occy good on you for asking about IRN's before you go out and get one. They are wonderful birds, why stop at one? Lol why not get several? :P
Their real clowns, I can spend hours watching mine run amuck in the bird room.
You've been given some great advice. Good luck. Make sure you post pics!
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Er, the metric system. They should teach us that in school. I made my children learn it because I believe we will go to the metric system in their lifetime. Mine probably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inches

Makes things a lot easier and mistakes and misunderstandings fewer. Downside, American's have to learn the metric system... we wont be walking many more long 'miles' :D
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Miles?... what are miles?... (joking) We use Kilometres here. :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

:lol:

I love a smart ****. I really do. Read the text as its meant... I love witty, smart **** people.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Isnt sarcasim great! :wink:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Without it, no reason to live... some try but it doesnt come out as meant :lol:

They should HALT! Cease and desist! :P

A smart **** is born, not created. :twisted:
~ Mikaela Sky

garys mum

Post by garys mum »

Hi ocky, I have just yesterday bought the same cage for my Alexandrine but the next size up and Syd loves it. It has soooo much more room than his old one so lots more toys can fit in and he loves the playgym on top.
:D :D I put a whole small tree branch on the top and he spends hours destroying it. I am lucky to live on a farm and have an endless supply of Manuka tress (tea tree) the are good for them health wise and taste good.
:wink:
You will love a ring neck, the longer I have Syd the more I love him. I wasn't sure at the start but they grow on you and with help from all the good people on this site you can't go wrong.

Have you thought about an Alexandrine, I have found out as long as you get them young (Syd was 16 weeks) they don't have to be handreared, they tame down quickly with time and understanding and this forum!!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I have a bit more time to go into more detail to help you decide:

Ringneck Parrrots are growing in popularity among aviculturists and pet lovers around the globe, and the Indian Ringneck is the most popular of them all among hobbyists. They are considered elegant and beautiful by fanciers.

Like all Ringneck Parrots the Indian Ringneck is easy to teach and tame. These beautiful birds are also quite hardy making them favorites for novice and expert hobbyists alike.

Of all the Ringnecked Parrots, the Indian is perhaps the most popular and widely available. It is for this reason that many of the other subspecies are confused with it. Unlike some parrots, parent-raised babies are easily tamed, and hand-feeding is not required to produce a tame loving pet. Instead socialization and regular handling combined with lots of attention and time is the key. Regular handling is needed to maintain your tamed Ringneck's friendly personality. If they are not given the proper amount of attention, they may grow unfriendly and can become nippy.

These are social birds, and in the wild they live in groups. For this reason they must have plenty of attention given to them every day, particularly if they are kept singly. Some have reported that males make better pets, but others report that females make equally good pets provided they receive enough love and attention.

Some Ringnecks make excellent talkers, though this is never a guarantee. All of the Ringnecks are highly intelligent and require plenty of toys to keep stimulated. They also enjoy chewing, so chew toys are a must. Some Indian Ringnecks never learn to talk, though this is not the norm.

The average lifespan of an Indian Ringneck in captivity is between 25 and 30 years.

The Indian Ringneck is sometimes confused with other Ringneck species. The Indian Ringneck is larger than the African Ringneck and has a larger tail. The Indian Ringneck usually measures 16 inches in length, whereas the African Ringneck averages a mere 14 inches. The African Ringneck also has a longer tail than the Indian Ringneck. The Neumann's Ringneck is a little larger than the Indian and is reported to be slightly more aggressive. I

n general the Indian Ringneck has darker plumage than the nominate form (the African Ringneck), and its ring-neck is also darker and more prominent. Mature male and female Indian Ringnecks can be distinguished visually. Males have a largely dark green plumage with yellow-green feathers appearing under the wing covets. They have wide black bands on their cheeks and black chins. True to their names, they have a rose pink ring on the back of their necks.

The females do not have the black markings on their cheeks or chin and are lacking the pink ring. Immatures can be easily distinguished by their grey eyes, and otherwise they largely resemble the females. In addition to the normal wild type there are an enormous number of color mutations among Indian Ringnecks, including lutino, blue, and turquoise. The beautiful color patterns may contribute to their popularity as pets. They may be as many as 50 to 100 different mutations!

Indian Ringnecks are most commonly found in the open areas of India, but they are also found in Burma, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and on the Rameswaram Island. In addition to being found in forests and savannahs, they are also not uncommon in urban areas. They became popular as pets hundreds of years ago and their popularity seems to be increasing with time. It has even been reported that pet Indian Ringnecks were documented as far back as 200 B.C. by Archimedes.

Specific Care Information:
Relative Care Ease: Average

The Indian Ringneck is not difficult to care for in captivity, but if they are kept singly as pets, they require a lot of attention to maintain their tameness. They are avid chewers and toys must be provided to prevent destructive behavior.

Some Indian Ringnecks do not enjoy bathing. If your Indian Ringneck does not like to bathe it should be misted weekly. Some Indian Ringnecks do love to bathe, however, and individuals that do enjoy water should be provided baths frequently.

These birds love fruits and veggies, and they should be given access to both daily.

Breeding and Propagation:
Relative Breeding Ease: Relatively Easy

The Indian Ringneck male will reach sexual maturity at approximately 18 months, but males may not breed for as long as 3 years. Indian Ringneck Parrots are bred regularly in captivity. If you keep your breeding pairs in group aviaries, some aviculturists advise separating pairs before breeding and leaving them separated from the group throughout the breeding season, as they may become aggressive at this time.

In captivity the breeding season of the Indian Ringneck is variable. If your aviary is indoors they will usually begin breeding in December. In outdoor aviaries some pairs may breed as early as February, and this can be a problem. In order to avoid early breeding (which may cause egg binding) it is suggested that nest boxes be removed until April. The average clutch size is 3 to 5 eggs. The incubation period lasts an average of 23 days, with babies fledging in 7 weeks.

Shew, I dont know much so thats all I can think of off the top of my head. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Occy

Post by Occy »

OK thanks for the extra info guys

I was considering an Alexandrine, an Eclectus and an African Grey but each is exponentially more expensive than the other. I was also considering a cockatoo...havent had one for years but theyre ace birds.

There is a guy advertising some IRNs in Springvale - I spoke to him and he said the bird probably wouldnt suit me because its been in an aviary for a couple of months as he got sick of them.

So I should look for grey eyes if I want a male?

Im this >< to having a bird shipped to me but I worry about the stress on the animal and also *I* want to choose my bird! Ultimately it may be the only way to do it though or go to the place where they also catch wild birds to sell *sigh*
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh no! Please dont ship or get a wild caught bird. Not good. Its cruel and inhumane. :cry:

Would that be Springvale in Melbourne.. If so would that be from a birdshop? I wouldnt buy from them. They dont sound trustworthy. Your better off going to a breeder if you can find one. I can PM you with one. But Im not sure if he has any left. I know he didnt get many babies last season. :(

Grey eyes doesnt always mean a hen. A trained eye can pick differences. The only real way to sex a IRN before maturity is through DNA testing.

Goodluck with the search for your companion. Finding the right one might take time but its well worth it. :wink:
Occy

Post by Occy »

Yep the one in Springvale. Yes catching is cruel. I have a friend who is completely against caged birds - but IMO there is a big difference between captive birds and wild caught.

Ive dealth with the people at the springvale shop before - really nice looking establishment but bells and whistles arent going to get me in this case.

I will keep looking
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They are saying in a male. Its a certain greyish blue males have when they pin.

Just really hard to get babies to pin.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

OO.. does this mean Yoda is a boy? He pins all the time at Gilbert and his eyes are very grey! Ive never heard this before.

I think petshops are good for toys and thats about it. But thats my opinion. :wink:
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

too bad you don't have more rescue organizations in Aus -- I see two cockatoos and a couple of Amazons looking for rehoming in the LA area (but I would get the IRN as well :lol: )
MCS
Occy

Post by Occy »

I think I may have found a bird - its not far away - a male lacewing - will go view the birds in a couple of days and who knows - when next we speak I may own an IRN
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Keep us updated!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

PsittaculaChick wrote:I think petshops are good for toys and thats about it. But thats my opinion. :wink:

Amen sista
~ Mikaela Sky

Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Alex's aren't that expensive, around $250-$350. Its the end of the season now though so they are hard to find handraised or parent raised. There is nothing wrong with having your fid 'sent' you, all four of my babes took a flight on a plane to get to me. Its just that some people prefer to pick a bird that they can handle before they bring him home. I think Jeremy (who I was lucky enough to get Pepper and Silk from) still has some babes and he freights them as well.
HTH
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Occy

Post by Occy »

Im somewhere between an IRN and Alexandrine right now.

I have an offer of a 5 month old Alexandrine - possibly male - for $200 and a blue hand raised IRN lacewing for $150. Im thinking my cage - its about 4-4.5ft for the cage itself - might be a little small for an Alexandrine
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Get me both! :wink: They both beautiful birdies.
Occy

Post by Occy »

lol

well there are three alexandrines if you're interested in one ;)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I wish I had the room for one! :cry: