Hi everyone

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

amber5683

Hi everyone

Post by amber5683 »

My name is Amber and I live in BC, canada. I have 2 indian ringnecks both around 8 months old. Was browsing the internet to get more information on them and came across this site, looked great so I decided to join. With having just aquired these guys within the last couple of months I was wondering if someone can give me any ideas on what age they tend to start talking and maybe give me some good training hints that have worked for you. :D
lady-lord-be

Post by lady-lord-be »

im pretty sure that ive read here that they can start talking around 1 year old. but it all depends on the bird.
tell me if im wrong anyone. just trying to help. :D

oh please post pics of your little guys?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to our flock! We gotta see pics.. (i thought id get on the bandwagon with this we love pics here!)

My Yoda is 4 months old and has ONCE only ONCE said 'I love you'. But chatters in birdy language all day. Depends on the bird. Praise and give treats whenever your birdy does good things. Ignore them when they do bad, eg. biting. Birds like reactions.

Enjoy. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome! I've had my IRN for about four months and she makes human sounds, but does not talk -- not sure what her life was like before I got her. Glad to meet you & your fids!
MCS
Bird crazy

Hello

Post by Bird crazy »

Welcome to the flock!!

First lets get the begging out of the way: we want names and pics ASAP. :D

Now for the info: Nila my male is 10 months old and talks well. Priya is not yet a year but not sure exactly how old and she learned to talk just 2 weeks after joing Nila who never shuts up. Birds do like drama so if you want them to talk you need to talk to them and repeat the things you want them to say in a slightly more excited happy tone. And if you get mad and say a bad word in an emphatic tone they will also repeat that for you :oops: . Fortunately I haven't had to deal with that so far. But I know some have. I'm not sure how starting out with 2 birds will affect how quickly they learn to talk since they can communicate with each other perhaps there will be less need to communicate with you. Let us know how it goes.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

peanut is 11 months old and i've heard him say a few words last month, but nothing since. he makes teil' noises and screams. its like he's testing out his vocal cords and how loud he can scream. its cute to watch. he looks so grouchy when he does it.