Another Aussie

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Topaz

Another Aussie

Post by Topaz »

Hi there all - I love forums!

I have just - three days ago - bought two IRN's, one is green (called Jade) and one is a really deep yellow (called Topaz). I do have a few questions to ask all you knowledgeable INR folks. With having 2 does anyone think that I will have a problem teaching them to talk, and also as they don't have clipped wings will they learn to come to me? They are in a fairly reasonable sized cage, about 1800mm x 700mm x 650mm high (sorry don't know the imperial measurements anymore!), so they have a fair amount of room to fly around in - any answers would be fantastic, being new totally to birds I'm fairly ignorant and was so happy when I found this site.

Question for our Administrator, how would I go about putting up an avatar?

Yours in birdland - Topaz

:lol:
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

ahh yay! another aussie, welcome.
first off ill beat everyone else to it, and say we looooove piccies so any and all will be appreciated :D
secondly, as far as talkin goes, i myself have no clue as ive had my girl since august and shes not spoken a word yet.
how old are ur fids? (feathered kids in case u havent picked that up already) from what ive read (plz dont quote me lol) but they tend to start talkin around the 1year old mark (excpe those that can, but arent stimulated enough)
as for any other questions about the avatars or anything else, just hit the search button up top and have a hunt around in the results.
i keep our girls wings clipped as were in a kinda small unit and dont wanna risk the crashes into walls, ovens etc, and that a lot of people recommend clipping to keep them dependant on you more, and keep them 'reigned in' a little more shall we say
Hope somethin in there helps :)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hey. I think its safe to say we are all bird nuts here and this is the place for learning all about these elegant lil buggas. :D

I dont think having 2 chickies would make it harder to teach them stuff, but clipping wings makes them easier to train. First step is to teach the 'step up' command. And clipped wings can make this easier so you dont have to keep running around chasing them and climbing up on tables and chairs to catch them. They also will depend on you picking them up to get to where they want to go. Through this they will learn to trust you. But its all up to you whether you want to clip. But being new to birds I'd get a vet to clip them.

Sounds like they have a big cage to fly around in. Make sure they have lots of toys and ropes. IRNs like to 'destroy' things. :roll: Also lots of fruit and vegies for them to munch on (no avocado or anything with caffiene as these are deadly).

Welcome to the land of IRNs! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh yah and the safety factor of clipping wings! thanx ambrosia. :roll:
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

heh thats ok chick, u reminded me in the food section... no onion either, in any circumstance (we wont even let baby eat the roast veggies cooked in the pan with the onion, they now get cooked separately, in the meat tray
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Thanks guys - I am now more confused than ever:)(with regard to the wing clipping I mean). These two birds won't be flying around in the house - well not for some time anyway, I have two poodles, one of whom thinks that birds are for catching - ho hum training all these animals/birds is going to be fun:)
I haven't been able to get much in the way of photos yet as they freak when I open the door and try and take their photos - obviously they aren't going to be filmstars - well not at the moment anyway.

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/Topaz_012/

There are some photos in here - I just don't know whether anyone can enter through this URL or not - I'm not cluey with this sort of thing:)

I had better let you all know that my real name is Anne as well, incase I forget to sign as Topaz LOL :roll:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Sorry bout the confusion Anne, Its all up to you really with the wing clipping, but it does make things easier. Just remember that training/taming takes time and patience. :wink:

Be careful with your poodles. Birds are easily scared and can become depressed.

Very pretty birds you have. Jade are Topaz look very confortable with each other. :D
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome! Your fids look lovely, we are delighted to have them (and you) join our extended family.
MCS
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Welcome to the flock...do post pics

Dani
Bird crazy

Jade and Topaz

Post by Bird crazy »

Very pretty birds.

So they have what I would call an aviary rather than a cage. Can you walk in there with them? If I had that I think I would let the wings long too. But if it's outdoors and they get out they will be gone. Unless you have a double saftey door. Where you can open it and step in and close that door before you open the one into the cage. Or is the aviary in the house? Then no worry except the dogs if they flew out when you opened the door.

You're going to have a lovely time with those two. They really are pretty and so much fun.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Imagehttp://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/Topaz_012/INRs21-1.jpg[/IMG]Image

This is a pic of my cage folks - and by the way very many thanks for the lovely welcome that you have all given me:) - now back to the pic, as you can perhaps see it is fairly large, and I am wondering whether I might be better to divide it in two and have Jade on one side and Topaz on the other? Any thoughts there?

Also, I note in feeding that you can give melon, but is it alright to give the rind of watermelon, canteloupe etc? obviously with some fruit still on it.
Another pic of the two of them together - it's a bit hard taking the pics as they are inclined to want to fly out of the cage, and so I have had to take the pics from outside - hence the wire showing.

Imagehttp://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/Topaz_012/INRs21.jpg[/IMG]

In answer to Bird Cage, as you can see it is just a large cage on a frame with a couple of wheels (it is home made by a friend of ours).
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

As long as they are getting along, I don't see any reason to spllit the cage. What a great home!
MCS
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

As long as no squabbles go on...they ought to be fine....

Love that cage!

Dani