hello and help lol

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

baggon

hello and help lol

Post by baggon »

hello all my name is serena live in london uk and i "rescued" an irn thanks to your website and info i have discovered that he is definatly a he due to his ring and is also proberly over 17 months old he's lime green and his name is snapper so called cos he "snapped" at my husband when we first put him in his cage lol.
We all love him to pieces but bieng an unexperianced birdkeeper i must admit to knowing nothing about these birds he has 2 talons missing how i dont know and your all proberly going to laugh at me but that is why i thought he stood on one foot all the time he doesnt speak all though he makes a series of squeaks and clicks mainly in the morning and he does a really annoying grinding thing with his beak, we havent actaully let him out of the cage yet he seemed so panicky when we got him at first when i opened the cage for food ect he would flap madly but that seems to have calmed a little now and all he does is turn his back on me i talk to him softly all the time and his cage is right next to my pc chair so he is constantly near me lol his diet consists of mainly sunflower seeds a little millet apple and sultanas at the moment any advice that anyone can give me about making his life as happy and conteneted as possible would be greatly recieved and please if im doing anything wrong please please let me know i just want to make snapper happy and eventually hope to have him love us and talk to us as all your birds appear to do sorry for the long post btw :oops: thanks :)
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hello and welcome to our community! That annoying beak grinding thing has to be the best sound you could want to come out that bird! It means they are happy and content! Post pics if you can...we love them :)

Dani
ambros1a

hiya

Post by ambros1a »

hey, ive got the teeniest little more time with my baby, (1 month on sat) and one of the first things i learnt coming here was : get rid of those sunflower seeds now :!: :!: :!:
ive spoken to ppl on here, as well as chattin to my vet, and ive been told that basically, ur giving them a mouthful of fat. theyre great for treats, but not so good to have to live on, they may love it, but healthwise.. lol you dont want a fat lil irn do ya lol.

try your darlin on some grapes, chilli, spinach, or better yet, have a look here :
http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3063
great post full of info on what to and what NOT to feed ur fid.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

1. Use full stops. Punctuation and grammar is your friend. Also I won't continue to get eye burns from reading your posts.

2. Beak grinding is a sign of contentment, equivalent to the sound of a child giggling and giving you a hug.

3. Sunflower seeds should make up no more than 5% of their diet. The rest should be approx 30% pellets, 40% seeds (a budgie mix is fine), 20% fresh vegetables (dark green is good, no avocado) and 5% other treats (mine loves red peppers, grapes and apple).

4. Since your bird is a rescue, and has talons missing, I'd suggest taking him to an avian vet as soon as possible to give him a once over. They'd be helpful for any questions you have too.
baggon

Post by baggon »

Thank you so much for your help and advice,i will try harder with my written work maybe next time ill get an A+ instead of a D- lol.
Im glad that snapper is displaying signs of happiness and contenment,and the sunflower seeds have been pushed aside for treats lol thanks once again.