Need some help.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Oscars

Need some help.

Post by Oscars »

I have a four year old male named oscar and I worry that I might not be giving him everything that he might need. I don't know what he needs food-wise other than seeds and I know that they need a bigger varity. Anyone have any ideas of what I might try?

I'm also thinking about getting him a friend. Does it make much difference if I get another male or a female? I dont want to stress him out. If you have any suggestions let me know. Thanks.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Welcome :!:

A buddy for a bird is never a bad idea, of course with ringnecks you cant house them together. Thats something to consider before adopting another one.

You have absolutely GOT to transition that bird over from pellets to seeds ASAP. If not, he will become very unhealthy and show in his appearance and personality.

I highly recommend Zupreem 'wild-n-spicy' because ringnecks love it and it is a very good brand to continue on with. As cruel as this sounds, you might have to practice some tough love... the pellets or starve. Seeds are no longer and option. Stand strong and give nipples of stuff to eat (NO SEEDS) but keep him hungry. He'll transition.

:lol:

Dani and I (if I may put your name in my mouth) both had to use this method as our babies would not convert. Its hard though... usually takes them more days then you'd like for them to give in. But they always do.

Also, your bird should be eating everything healthy for you. Veggies, fruits, chicken... anything EXCEPT chocolate and avacado. The wider their pallette, the cooler the bird. Im with my bird alot so its nice to shove a french fry in his mouth to keep him at bay. Experiment!

The way to a ringnecks heart is food. My husband calls my Baby a 'food whore' because he comes running like a begger. :cry:

Seeds go in the garbage today. Pellets in the cage and he accepts it. Until then, keep him alive with brocolli, fruits... just make sure to keep him hungry. Come on, I'll take you to the pet store. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

Birdjunkie

Post by Birdjunkie »

Mikaela, I LOVE you replies! I almost laugh everytime!
I had NO idea........no seeds. I hope my Pet store carried the Wild....PELLETS!
ALL my birds waste thier food............maybe it's because I'm using seeds.
(
Cathe'<><
Solomon C2.
IRN's: Romeo/Juliet you let me know (lol), Pebbles (female)
Eclectus: Rusty
Joseph: Peace white dove
Cowboy:Green Quaker
Cocktiel: Sunshine
About 10 Society Finches. )
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yes Mik...it was so hard trying to get my stubborn little thing to eat pellets. It took a few months and patience! Convert asap...and only use seeds as a treat...

Dani
Donna

Need some help

Post by Donna »

If your having problems converting a stuborn IRN to pellets soak the pellets in some apple juice. It works!! Donna
LAAnnie

Food for Oscar

Post by LAAnnie »

My vet also told me the seed diet was unhealthy. I now feed PeeGee fresh fruits and vegetables. Her favorites are corn, apples, grapes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans and peas. I have to go easy on the corn, or that's all she will eat. I cut a slice of corn on the cob, about 1/2 inch wide. She will play with this and eat all the kernals.

I also now use a food called Birdy Licious
http://www.passiontreehouse.com/

which is a wonderful mix of 40 dehydrated fruits, veggies, grains, flowers, grasses and seeds -- similar to the wild bird's diet. She is very picky, and will pick out the stuff she likes and toss the rest. She's really healthy.

Snacks: whatever I'm eating (tiny bits).
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

A guy who I regularly get advice from in the NY bird club recently had one of his Ringnecks nearly die from vitamin toxicity. He was on a 100 percent zupreem pellet diet.

Sunni's diet: 40% pellets, 40% seed, 10% sunflower seeds. We have a separate dish in her cage for a veggie mix. Everything gets eaten :).
Bird crazy

Diet

Post by Bird crazy »

Ok by now you have figured out there are lots of opinions about what to feed a bird to keep it healthy. So let me add my two cents.

Any time you feed yourself or your bird just one thing it can't be good for you or the bird.Think about the variety available in nature.

I have zupreem fruitblend avian maintainence, harrison's pellets, a no sunflower seed mix all in three separate feeding dishes. Nila visits and eats out of all three but actually perfers the Zupreem, it's what he eats the most of. But he does love to select a color of the day to toss out. I also give him fresh fruit and veggies every morning. And at supper he gets cooked grain and cooked veggies (whatever we are eating for supper).

To get him to eat the veggies I wrap them in paper and twist the ends shut, and I also have a kabob stick to hang them in his cage.

Hope that helps.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Okay,

Let’s keep things simple. Do not starve your bird and gradually convert him over. It can take time. Start by gradually putting a few pellets into the food bowl. As the days go by start to increase the amount of pellets inside the food bowl. Never starve your bird. It can take time so be patient.

To speed things up, you might want to pretend to eat the pellets. Archimedes, my Indian ringneck, will eat anything I eat! He is a gluten for food. As Mikaela put it, “The way to a ringneck’s heart is food.” It could not be further from the truth!

Also, I know there is so much information and we are told that seeds are bad; however, keep in mind parrots do eat seeds in the wild. For that matter, seeds need to be given. I rotate my food bowls daily with my parrots. For a few days it’s seeds and for a few days it’s pellets. Mattls has stated that a vitamin overdose is possible if you feed only pellets. I have seen it first hand with an Amazon parrot because he was fed only pellets.

So, to sum things up, feed your parrot a variety of foods if you want him to live healthy. Many of the others here have mentioned the types of foods to feed your ringneck.

Also, if you ringneck is not tame then you need to gradually introduce pellets into his diet. If the parrot shows interest in what you eat, you can pretend to eat the pellets. Be sure to make a big deal about how good they are—and if you are courageous, why not try one. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps and best wishes, :wink:

Imran Chaudhry
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

This post got me thinking.... Baby loves Peaches seeds. Probably only because they are Peaches. But anyhow, Im not going to be so strict on Baby's diet anymore.

We tend to learn the do's and donts but then forget to elaborate on what we know to make things even better. Ringneck is able to do that and others here too. Im more of a routine type.

Thats changing. If Baby wants some seed that bad, he can have it for a treat. I hope others decide to experiment. I love collards but wouldnt want to eat them every meal.
~ Mikaela Sky

silvercloud

Post by silvercloud »

Hi Oscars. If you wish to feed your IRN pellets, do so but don't exclude seeds. I've noticed people in the US seem to use pellets much more than others. Here in Australia nearly everyone I know who have birds don't use them at all and all their birds are lovely, happy and healthy. As others in this thread have said, give both pellets and seed changing brands around to keep it interesting for you IRN as well as lots of fruit and vegies, you can even make your own fresh juice as they love that also.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Nice! Yeah, always change things around. I never thought of making juice for my ringneck! Ha, you learn something new everyday! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikaela, baby is going to love you:) Give him an extra scoop for me :wink: :lol: :lol:

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry