First time IRN owner.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Buddy4us

First time IRN owner.

Post by Buddy4us »

Hi we (Me and long term GF) decided to get a pet Ring neck. Its Blue and is about 3/4 weeks old. We bought him from the pet shop on Monday and she said she would say 3 weeks. His/her (for now its a he) name is Buddy and we have made big strides with him. Buddy lets us feed him with a big struggle but the biting has been reduced only grip when he wants to explore more.

Currently we are feeding Buddy 3 times a day. But he only eats about 5-8ml and doesn't want anymore and just keeps shaking his head and spraying it all over. Do we need to force feed him? His crop looks full when he does it.

He still get scared easily and gets the shakes but its reducing more and more everyday.

We do have a question about him. He started to scratch and bite (Where he is supposed to have feathers) we think its because his feathers are coming out our we correct? Sorry for asking but I couldn't find it on the site.

Thank you for this forum its been a big help so far.

Any other suggestion regarding newbie mistakes or common mistakes would be gladly received as well. We however do a lot of reading on the site as well. If there is a not to miss topic on this site please don't hesitate to post a link.

Thank you everybody.

Greetings from South Africa.
Wessel Gordon

Re: First time IRN owner.

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Welcome to the forum from a fellow South African.

Three-four weeks is still very young (they normally wean at between 8-10 weeks). A good idea might be to try and feed him more frequently but ALWAYS just feed as much as Buddy is willing to eat at that moment. As soon as he stops eating and start fussing stop feeding him and try again later. If you try to "force feed" he might develop sour crop which in turn might be fatal. I have limited experience with hand-rearing IRN's but from my experience it seemed like frequent, small meals was always preferable to infrequent, large meals. I must, however, congratulate you on being willing to take on such a huge responsibility.

Wessel
Buddy4us

Re: First time IRN owner.

Post by Buddy4us »

Thank you