First time irn

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ginzy

First time irn

Post by ginzy »

IMG_3635653472902_kindlephoto-5789494.jpg
IMG_3635653472902_kindlephoto-5789494.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
I got my lil IRN a week ago. I got her from a woman I work with who had her for about 6 months. She got her from a guy who really didn't take very good care of her. And that guy got her from someone else. So this poor lil bird is in her 4th home. I had her to the vet and got wings and nails done. Got her a nice new cage. She likes my hubby the best and he is making progress with her. She won't let you touch her she won't step up on your finger and you can't pet her. She will fly to your shoulder and eat from your hand. Hubby has gotten her to step one foot on his hand but that's only cause he's making her reach for the food. She won't commit with that other foot. She has just now started making noise in the last few days. Screeches mostly. I haven't heard her say any words yet. I don't know how old she is. I say she cause she doesn't have a ring. She wants nothing to do with me. I feed her treats, talk to her, ect. But she still prefers hubby. She's still slow to trust. But probably trust him the most. How long do you think it will take before she trusts us ? Or will she ever.
Last edited by ginzy on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
ginzy

Re: First time inr

Post by ginzy »

Her name is Neo.
Attachments
IMG_3619621276857_kindlephoto-6027276.jpg
Wessel Gordon

Re: First time irn

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Ginzy,

Considering it's Neo's 4th home (that we're aware of) and the fact that you only had her for a week I'm surprised she took to your husband so quickly. Since she's been sent from home to home she will take some time to settle down and learn that both you and your husband can be trusted. I have birds that literally took me months to trust me enough to take treats from my hand and in one case it's a so-called "hand-reared" bird.

What I'm trying to say is: gaining a bird's trust takes a lot of time, patience and consistency so don't get discouraged if she doesn't show any sign of trusting or even tolerating you close to her. I would suggest that you and your husband work with her together with him doing most of the work in the beginning since there's obviously some kind of bond between them. Once she accepts you as part of the flock she will form a closer bond with you.

The key is patience: don't get discouraged if she doesn't respond positively to you in a matter of days/weeks.

Good luck.

Wessel
MissK

Post by MissK »

She flies to the shoulder, eats from the hand, and puts one foot on hubby's finger for a reward. With respect, Wessel, I think you overlooked the fact that we don't know how she was treated in all those prior homes.

Let me check my crystal ball........... I predict you will see a vast improvement in three months or less, possibly much less, provided you treat her with compassion and don't offend her, and that nesting season doesn't turn her into a psycho. That will be $20. :D
-MissK
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

MissK,

Can I pay that $20 in 1 cent a year installments?

You're right. I did overlook that fact.

Wessel
ginzy

Post by ginzy »

Thank you....hubby does work with her daily. From what i was told men were her previous owners and that may also be why she takes to hubby so well. She seems to be a happy little bird and starting to be a lil playful. But hubby is also an animal whisperer. Doesnt matter what kinda pet we have they all bond instantly with him. Hubby and the kids have been teaching her the mocking jay whistle from the hunger games. I think the poor little thing may have been attention starved and is now enjoying all the attention she is getting.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It sounds like she's a lucky bird to have found your family. :)