New IRN Member ... Need HELP!!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

jobo2mi

New IRN Member ... Need HELP!!!

Post by jobo2mi »

I finally found a forum devoted to these lovely birds -- Now I need help!

I have had Nala for about 6 months or so. She is such a crabby beetch I can hardly work with her! I have to use a glove to get her out of her cage, (she bites the hand!) but as soon as she sees me even pick up the glove, she jumps to the floor of her cage and is ready to come out! She bites the glove but will come out.

Problem is that she BITES so hard!! :x Once she is out of her cage, she is usually pretty good, but she runs to my shoulder of I'm not quick enouth to stop her. Then it is a beetch to get her off!!

She lunges at me whenever I come near her cage and she's taken a chunk out of my arm when I changed out her food and water one time! :twisted: She gets out of cage time with the other fids, and I know I should work with her to tame her down, but it is soooo hard when she BITES!! And that big red beak can do some major damage!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
julie

Post by julie »

hello and welcome.she sounds pretty mean.do you know how old she is and if she was hand raised. generally hand raised birds are easier to tame but if they are left alone too long revert back to being mean.are you able to feed her from your hand if not you might have to try something that she really likes to eat to get her to come to you so she gets used to hands and then knows your hands wont hurt her.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hello Joanne,
Welcome to the board. And welcome to my life with a mean IRN! I got my Byndi when she was older and was lied to by the breeder. I was told that with a little work she'd tame right back down. Well I don't think she was ever tame to begin with. But I wanted her and I bought her. And eight months later she's just NOW starting to come around! I still can't hold her! She hates hands. When we get her out of her cage we have to ball our hand into a fist and she'll step up but goes right to the shoulder. When we want her off of our shoulder we just go to her cage and lean over and tell her to step up and she steps onto the cage. We don't try to take her off our shoulder with our hands. That would never work! She just in the last month or so is allowing me to "pet" her. And that is ONLY on her terms! When she's had enough of me petting her she will bite me to let me know! :shock: I just took it at her pace. I didn't force myself on her. I would sit and talk with her very softly. Food did not work with Ms. Byndi. She'd rather bite than deal with food. Even to this day she'll lunge at any type of food that we try to give her. And she'll have this MEAN, MEAN look on her face, like how dare we put that in her face. Just be patient. Don't stop interacting with Nala. Cuz if you do she will never tame down. As a matter of fact here is a picture of what Ms. Byndi did to me just a week ago. And when I took the picture the bite was a week old... So I know just what you're going thru!

You might also try taking Nala into the shower with u. I've done this with Byndi and she LOVES it. I let her sit on my shoulder and just stand in the shower while she gets soaked to the bone and talk quietly to her. She loves it. Even to the point that she will sit on my hand!! The only time she'll sit on my hand. And she doesn't bite or lunge or anything. Give it a try if you think it'll work.
Sorry this is a book. I hope something in my ramblings helps. Keep us posted and ask any questions you may have. We LOVE pictures and videos too.

Good luck!
Jen
Ed Loschi

Gloves not a good tool to use for step-up training.

Post by Ed Loschi »

This maybe a an old legend that may have little merit but I have heard from numerous long standing bird owners that using gloves is not good for training purposes and are generally bad to have on when handling birds. The only time gloves are needed are when handling predatory birds with wicked strong sharp talons.
jobo2mi

Re: Gloves not a good tool to use for step-up training.

Post by jobo2mi »

Ed Loschi wrote:This maybe a an old legend that may have little merit but I have heard from numerous long standing bird owners that using gloves is not good for training purposes and are generally bad to have on when handling birds. The only time gloves are needed are when handling predatory birds with wicked strong sharp talons.

I know I shouldn't use gloves, but I like my appendages attached! :?

And she SEEMS like a predatory bird :twisted: ... *sigh* ... I keep working with her every chance I get. I take her into the bathroom, away from her cage, and that seems to help. Maybe taking her INTO the shower will help, IF SHE WON"T BITE MY EAR OFF!!! :shock: I know she likes to be misted, won't get into a bath like the rest of the fids, except for her tiny little water dish :roll:

What's worse is now her flight feathers are growing out so she is becoming flighted! I NEED to trim those wings, but I can't even towel her alone. She manages to get that head out of the towel and boy do I pay for it!!!
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Oh Joanne,
I so feel your pain. Just hang in there. I'm living proof that patience is virtue! Byndi still is a pain on her moody days. But today she's been in a good mood and climbing all over me and allowing me to scritch her. Getting her wings trimmed will help. Remmi got awful cocky until we got him trimmed. Can you take her to a vet to get it done? Keep us posted.

Hugs,
Jen