Howdy!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Perocore

Howdy!

Post by Perocore »

Hello there!

I am Perocore, most call me Pero. I'm a Senior in High School planning on studying companion animal behavior, and majoring in Animal Science (or biology, depends on the school) in College.

I do not have any birds myself. My sister has 3 budgies and just got a baby conure, though. I like most animals, and never really even considered having an avian companion until I worked at a camp over the summer, two years ago. They had a large indoor aviary, and in one section there were four Indian Ring Neck parakeets. I fell in love with these birds! They were all hand-raised and very friendly. One blue female would sit on my shoulder while I cleaned, and hissed at other birds and people who came too close, but would preen my ears, which was very sweet. Then there was a male who had an obsession with cleaning people's teeth. Had trouble getting him to not try to groom mouths, but he was a sweetie, very friendly and loved having his belly stroked. His sister was not quite as friendly, but was fairly content to perch on a shoulder and chatter in my ear. Then there was the newest arrival, he was a beautiful yellow male, hated being touched and would bite if you got too close, but he loved sitting on my shoes and chewing my laces while I worked in the aviary.

So, being left with such fond memories of those friendly, personable birds, I've decided to start looking into ring neck parakeets. I'm not ready for one yet, since I'm heading to college soon, but once my rats pass away I'll be looking for a new companion, and would very much like to get a ring neck, hopefully a friendly little bird who I can register as an ESA.

For now I am here to read and pester you all with questions so that I am fully prepared by the time I can bring home my own ring neck :)

Warm regards,
Perocore
Wessel Gordon

Re: Howdy!

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Pero

Welcome to the forum.

Unlike the birds you encountered IRN's are not really the cuddly type. It sounds like the yellow male that refused to be touched is more a more typical IRN behaviour...they are usually more "stand-offish" and aloof but they do form a very strong bond with their chosen human. I'm just telling you this so you don't get the illusion that all IRN's would behave so well around humans as those four did. I realise that you won't get the bird right now but as soon as things settle down and you feel you are ready for it I highly recommend a reputable breeder that properly socialize their babies from a young age...if you and the breeder are both agreeable to the arrangement you might even get to help socialize or feed the chicks and to return the favour you can maybe also help out with sorting out the breeding pairs' food and water and cleaning their cages. It would give you valuable experience in dealing with birds and I'm sure a breeder can always use an extra pair of hands during the busy breeding season.

As for pestering us with questions: go for it ! Even if it's something that seem stupid or insignificant to you to ask it's best to ask on the forum and receive straightforward and honest replies from people that has owned/bred IRN's for years. If you don't ask the seemingly insignificant questions you might not end up being as fully prepared for your future companion as you would have been.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Howdy!

Post by ringneck »

Welcome Pero! :)

In my experience ringnecks make remarkable pets if worked with daily. I have four pet ringnecks, 2 Indian Ringnecks and 1 Alexandrine. They are remarkable, lovable and friendly if worked with.

Mine are very cuddly and friendly, so much so, that they love being with me. I do get bit on occasion, but it is nothing i can't handle (maybe once a year).

Also, please pester us! We would love to help you anyway we can! :)

Welcome to our family!

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C