New IRN owner (sorta!)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Nez

New IRN owner (sorta!)

Post by Nez »

Hi everyone,

I'm a vet nurse, and someone bought in a bird they found last week - apparently just flew up and sat on her shoulder!! Anyway, I have bought it home, pending finding the owner. I am oretty sure its an IRN - I have included photos below!
Any help would be appreciated as I know nothing about birds! How big a cage do they need? Can you tell from the colouring if it is a boy or a girl? What and how much to feed? Ibought some "parrot seed" from the local pet store which it is eating. I also have lost of behaviour questions, but Ill leave them to later :lol: Sorry to ramble on so much, just wanna make sure Im doing everything right!

Thanks for any help!

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hi and welcome! So far so good...but please make sure to feed that girl some fresh fruits and veggies! They can't get eveything they need from a seed mix or pellets. Try to feed her pellets rather than a complete seed mix.

For me, and I diunno about anyone else but that looks like an adult female! Doesn't have the 'baby' qualties that a youngin has...anyone else's take?

Very nice looking bird though! First things first is try to find if the owner is looking for her!

Dani
Ed Loschi

Wow!! Good catch!

Post by Ed Loschi »

Wow!! Good catch!
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Looks like an IRN to me. Not sure if it's older or younger, not that good with them just yet. But it's gorgeous! They need a pretty large cage cuz of their tail. Lots of toys. They get bored easily and like to play. Well one of mine loves to play and the other doesn't much care for it.
darkcloudchild

Post by darkcloudchild »

That is definitelty an IRN Female.

I would try to get a cage big enough for her to move around, spread her wings and yet still be able to fit some toys in there.

You can usually tell by the coloring around the neck of an IRN whether it's male or female. You can see in my signature I have one of each. The males of the species (except albinos) develop a black ring around their necks at about 2 years of age (well, lutinos are more orange I suppose). The females get a ring also, but it tends to just be a lighter shade of their dominant color, and it doesn't stand out no where near as much as the males.

If she's eating the seed, I'd definitely keep that around, but I'd also try and add some non-colored pellets, and definitely fresh fruits and veggies. My two eat just about everything I do. Beware of chocolate, caffeine and avacado though, they are no good for birds.

Bring on the behavior questions and we'll see what we can help you out with :D
Rena
julie

Post by julie »

hello and welcome.where are you from?

Hello

Post by Guest »

Hope you're enjoying the new birdie. I'm a new irn owner myself. This may seem obvious but the first thing I would do is clip those wings or you could easily suffer the same loss as the previous owner.

Sue
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Good thinking Sue! I sure didn't think of that! :shock:
Nez

Post by Nez »

Thanks for all the help guys!

My name is Nerelie and I'm from Melbourne, Australia!

I havent had a chance to put up any flyers, but hopefully I can find the owner as I am sure she is being missed as she is quite a character. Has gotten a lot more chatty in the last day or so, and also loves a good screech! Got on top of the fridge last night a proceeded to throw coins and bread at my boyfriend, whom she has decided is her "favourite"!!
She will fly onto your shoulder, but if you put your arm/hand up to her she screams at you and tries to bite???!!!!! Also if i put hand in cage to change water etc she tries to bite. Another thing I have noticed is her pupils changing size rapidly - sometimes when im watching her her puils are going in and out quite quickly - is this normal?

Nerelie
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yep that eye movement is called 'Pinning' it's normal everyday thing...birds enjoy the fact that they can restrict or dilate their pupils at will. Means they are excited

Dani
Nez

Post by Nez »

Thanks Dani! I was getting worried! Ok next question! She does this head rolling thing - almost twisting her head around 180 degrees! What that about?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Well birds are allowed so much more head movement that we are. It's a bird thing...they are able to turn that head so far around because they have to be able to preen those back feathers. Sounds like all is well with your new birdie...

What are you naming her?

Dani
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

looks like a female cinemon green im no expert but i have breed cinemons once before

nice to see her and welcome 2 u :wink:

New birdie

Post by Guest »

Had my baby Nila to the vet today for his first check up and have him dna sexed, after reading your post I had him microchipped too. My vet mentioned that people bring in birds all the time that just fly up to them. So apparently lots get lost. Of course here in Fla a lot of silly people think because it's warm they can just release pets they no longer want and they will be ok. Hope you can find his owner but if not, you already have a good idea how much fun a bird can be. Has he said his own name yet?

Sue
Nez

Post by Nez »

We have named her Ricci, as that seems to sound like what she says mostly! She seems to be settling in really well...I am still going to try and find her owner but im not that hopeful! My partner is particularly enamoured with her and vice versa - she won't have a bar of me, its all about him! lol We even bought her a proper cage yesterday!
The head rolling thing is a definite "dance" - she only does it to my partner - does anyone elses bird do this? Its a really slow rolling of the neck which lasts about 2 mins, usually accompanied by warbling noises!

Nerelie
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

That is the female stance...its a female thing. They tilt their head back and go all googly eyed. Sounds like you definatly have a girl there!

Dani
Nez

Post by Nez »

Thanks for replying Dani! She is so funny when she does it! given that she only does it to my partner, is it an I love you kinda thing?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yep...exactly what it is :wink:

Dani

Post by Guest »

Sounds like Ricci and the man are getting along famously. Maybe if you send him out of eye shot and earshot she'll let you handle her but will prefer him when you're both there. But make him go in another room and not talk or call to her. Hope it works out for you.

Sue :D