Greetings from Gilmour :) we're really happy to join

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ladydi

Greetings from Gilmour :) we're really happy to join

Post by ladydi »

Hi so I have Gilmour a little green cheeky IRN. DNA sexed Male approximately 1.5 yr old.

First, I had no idea about birds nor IRN basically trial by fire and not sure I recommend this approach esp as newbie parront...he was gift from hubby.

So we have had a long rough road till about few months ago when he has come around and stopped biting me at any chance lol...boy it hurts till bleeding.

I persisted and kept with interactions daily no matter his bites, I ignored the bites, only calmy saying No bite...not sure if what I did worked or he gave into my being his or hormones settled lol...but now he is cutest lil devil, he gently let me know if he doesn't like something or touch etc by nudging his beak at my finger or lightly squeeze finger.
He is a joy and treat funny so smart silly curious unique parrot....

As the biting ceased, he in turn began to pull feathers and nibbled at toes.. It was bad and these days I have just tried different things, larger cage, more chew toys, perches, foraging etc and I notice less... Hoping it reduces to none or at least to regrow feathers....

So that being said, parronting for my first go around has been hard, but rewarding not sure how other species are or IRNS specifically....
În few years, if Gilmour settles perhaps we will see about adding, for now I have a fun kiddo to amuse and push me :-D
I have never known so much devotion or pride to win a little creature's affection than Gilmour....

I think they are the loveliest birds with sweet voices, although he doesn't speak yet he has his own little language and maybe one day he'll call me by name rather than squeaks & squawks <3
Attachments
Gilmour my cheeky baby
Gilmour my cheeky baby
Melika

Re: Greetings from Gilmour :) we're really happy to join

Post by Melika »

Welcome to the forum! What a beautiful parrot. I'm glad that both he and you caught on to the more subtle, "Stop" and "Don't do that!" ways of communicating, rather than biting!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay